Finally 19' snow tires!

drozz

To me, 19" winter tires are a waste of money. As discussed in other threads, I went with 16" winter tires and steel wheels from Simply Tire. I got the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 tires and have found them to be excellent. I paid under $1000 for the wheels, tires, balance, install and taxes.

That tire you show on the Kaltire website appears to be a Chinese tire. If the quality is anything like the Kumhos, I'd personally stay away from them.

It would cost you less money to go with more common sized 17's tires on steel wheels.

-A set of four 17in steelies with decent 225-65-17 winter tires is likely to be less expensive than a set of four 19in winter tires alone, depending what you buy and if you shop around.

-You'll be able to buy better & renowned quality tires & you will have way more choice.

-You will not damage your nice rims twice a year because you have to install-disinstall tires on them. That black goo they stick on there to rim the tire makes for a terrible looking wheel after a couple of times.

-Your nice summer rims will not be submitted to the harsh winter conditions (ie : salt)

-If you buy the 17in steelies & tires, even if you don't install them yourself, you'll save money every time you get them installed because you won't have to get the tires balanced on your wheels every time they swap them.

-After a couple years, when you need new winter tires, you'll simply need to get new 225-65-17's and stick them on the winter rim again saving quite a bit of $.

-With the 17's you will have as much traction/ride comfort because they are still 225 wide, you don't have to worry about the higher sidewall- it's winter, the asphalt is darn cold so it's no time to toss the truck in to the corners like you're ken block.

Just my opinion...

Edited by frank b