Squeaky Brakes & Auto Shifting

I am a proud owner of a 2011 Dodge Journey that I purchased after I totaled my 2001 Ford Focus because of someone pulling out in front of me. It was a very difficult time for me. Out of all the dealerships I went to on my new car expedition, the Dodge dealers were the best and helped me decide between a minivan (which I just couldnt see myself driving - yes, I am a mom, but am I a 'minivan mom'?) and a SUV. When I was introduced to the Journey, I fell in love!!!

I have 2 concerns...

1. My brakes are very squeaky. Not all the time, but of course when I am going slower and/or there is an abunance of people around, this is a bit embarrassing. When I took it into the repair center, there was only 1000 miles on it, so they said that it was "new brakes" and it should go away, but now I am at 3000 miles and it is happening. I try to press hard on them as to release any moisture, etc, but that just doesnt seem to do the trick. Has anyone else experienced this? I want to be armed with better knowledge prior to taking it in again...

2. Shifting. I dont know if its me or the vehicle. When I am stopped at a light and go to accelerate, it seems like it shifts out of first really hard....almost like I hit a bump. Is it me (because I am not used to the 6 cylinders) or possibly something I should have looked at?

I appreciate your help and advise. I love the Journey otherwise!!!

My Best.

Welcome Doozermonkey! :salute:

1) Yes this seems to be more common than not on the 2011's (and some 09's & 10's). The squeaking sound doesn't really indicate a problem and should subside. Make sure you're getting scheduled maintenance done so if they wear prematurely (also somewhat common) you have get it fixed under warranty.

2) I have noticed the hard shifting on my 2009. It does depend on your driving style. Maybe you're a bit heavier on the gas being used to the 4 banger, but that's not completely it. Does the hard shift happen with slow and fast take offs? Test it out, SLOWLY take off from a stop light and see if the "bump" is less evident or the same. Either way, again, I don't think it's evidence of a pending mechanical issue. Keep up on your maintenance and all will be fine. 100k powertrain warranty.

Welcome to the family again.

:rockon: Journey Mom

Omar

Possibly I am really old school when it comes to breaking in a new vehicle.

Every new one I have had (usually every 3-5 yrs) I do what it is commonly

referred to as "bedding the brakes".

Find a piece of road that's quiet run the car up to 80 km/h and brake it hard

to a full stop,do it twice then let it cool down.

I have never had to replace pads/linings prematurely in any car I have owned.

Just my 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a proud owner of a 2011 Dodge Journey that I purchased after I totaled my 2001 Ford Focus because of someone pulling out in front of me. It was a very difficult time for me. Out of all the dealerships I went to on my new car expedition, the Dodge dealers were the best and helped me decide between a minivan (which I just couldnt see myself driving - yes, I am a mom, but am I a 'minivan mom'?) and a SUV. When I was introduced to the Journey, I fell in love!!!

I have 2 concerns...

1. My brakes are very squeaky. Not all the time, but of course when I am going slower and/or there is an abunance of people around, this is a bit embarrassing. When I took it into the repair center, there was only 1000 miles on it, so they said that it was "new brakes" and it should go away, but now I am at 3000 miles and it is happening. I try to press hard on them as to release any moisture, etc, but that just doesnt seem to do the trick. Has anyone else experienced this? I want to be armed with better knowledge prior to taking it in again...

2. Shifting. I dont know if its me or the vehicle. When I am stopped at a light and go to accelerate, it seems like it shifts out of first really hard....almost like I hit a bump. Is it me (because I am not used to the 6 cylinders) or possibly something I should have looked at?

I appreciate your help and advise. I love the Journey otherwise!!!

My Best.

You and me are very much alike. I got my new 2011 Journey in July. I am a mom that does not ever see myself in a minivan, that is why I feel for the journey. I am just having one issue that is driving me crazy.

The break issue (Squeaky) will not go away. I am now going on 5000 miles and am still having loud, annoying, ear piercing squeaks. I had taken it in (1500 miles) to find out what is going on with them. I have been reading everything I can to understand this very annoying and embarrassing issue. The technician told me it was due to metallic brakes. He stated that this is normal for metallic brakes and told me to "just brake hard" to release the "material that is there." He then further stated that i needed to use my emergency brake at the beginning to speed up with the removal. This to me makes absolutely no since. From the beginning of learning about a car...squeaky brakes is a negative thing. To me Dodge is saying that squeaky brakes is absolutely "normal". I am very confused. I am taking it in tomorrow morning for its oil change. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to tell them to stop pushing me around (if they are) and make my brakes stop squeaking. I have a new car and I do not put squeaky breaks in the same category as a new car. Please someone help me understand.

Chrysler is notorious for squealing brakes. Haven't had it in my Journey yet, but I suffered through it for years in my 03 Sebring. Put them on new, all four corners, WITH new rotors last summer ... they squeaked the day I pulled off the lot, and did so every day up until they replaced the front pads and rotors under warranty again this year ... and still did it after replacement.

I think the solution is aftermarket ceramic pads ... if they exist. Might try 'em one day when the factory pads wear out. And what what I read, that should be any day now. LOL (I've only had the DJ two weeks.)

• 2 weeks later...

Exact same issue here. Wife's journey has almost 3,000 miles on it now and the brakes are still squeaking like crazy. Took it in at 1,500 miles for some nitrogen and to complain about the brakes. Service guy said they blew out the excess brake dust and that it should go away over time. Well, that didn't help at all. He mentioned something about possibly needing to refinish the rotors if the noise didn't go away. We will be taking it again soon for the first oil change and a couple of tsb's related to the bluetooth and keyless entry and I will complain again. Aside from the embarrassingly squeaky brakes, the Journey has been a joy so far.