Bought a used 2010 Dodge Journey SXT

OSUJourney

Just joined the forum. The wife and I just bought a used (15k miles) 2010 Journey SXT. We have looked for around a year at all sorts of crossovers to escape the minivan stigma that's here in the States. The ride is excellent, compared to our 2000 Saturn LS2 4-door, and we are excited, albeit reservedly so. We read a bit about tranny problems with the 2009 models so the dealer we went through offers a Unlimited Mileage, Unlimited Time drive train warranty (with regular service through them, of course).

Instantly we noticed the sluggish nature of the V6 engine. Gunning it on the highway was underwhelming, but this will be my wife and 2 kids' daily driver and she reasons that, "Com'on it's not a Viper".

We will be taking this vehicle on a road trip from Oklahoma to Idaho and back (roughly 2790 miles/4490 km). I think we'll get a good range of hills/mountians, temperatures (still getting down around 40 F in Idaho and 100 F in Oklahoma), and straight highway driving for entire tanks at a time. I will update this topic on our findings and review.

Just joined the forum. The wife and I just bought a used (15k miles) 2010 Journey SXT. We have looked for around a year at all sorts of crossovers to escape the minivan stigma that's here in the States. The ride is excellent, compared to our 2000 Saturn LS2 4-door, and we are excited, albeit reservedly so. We read a bit about tranny problems with the 2009 models so the dealer we went through offers a Unlimited Mileage, Unlimited Time drive train warranty (with regular service through them, of course).

Instantly we noticed the sluggish nature of the V6 engine. Gunning it on the highway was underwhelming, but this will be my wife and 2 kids' daily driver and she reasons that, "Com'on it's not a Viper".

We will be taking this vehicle on a road trip from Oklahoma to Idaho and back (roughly 2790 miles/4490 km). I think we'll get a good range of hills/mountians, temperatures (still getting down around 40 F in Idaho and 100 F in Oklahoma), and straight highway driving for entire tanks at a time. I will update this topic on our findings and review.

We're on our 2nd Journey. Back in March of '08 we bought a '09 Journey SXT 3.5L new and had it for 3 years and put 47K miles on it. No problems with the transmission or engine. We traded it for a lightly used '10 Journey SXT due to a CAN C bus issue (all the warning lights on the dash were cycling on/off).

I've had zero transmission issues with with either vehicle. The '10 has about 34K on it (had just under 31K when we bought it). IMHO, the 3.5L does just fine though you really need to get over 2K rpms to feel it's true power - she loves to rev. We just took ours on a 390 mile round trip (it's first real hwy trip) to Lynchburg, VA and averaged 26 mpg while cruising at 70 mph on the interstates and 60-65 on US 29 and used the AC the entire time. To really get the needed power on long grades it had to shift down to 4th for a time but it did fine.

If you think the V6 is sluggish, just be glad you didn't get the 4 cylinder. IMHO, the Journey is a tad to heavy for the 4 cylinder and fuel mileage isn't much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the site!

As for sluggishness, if you are just above 60mph, the trans will only drop to 4th, so it takes some time to get it moving. However doing ablut 55mph and smash the gas and it will jump into 3rd and really get moving! Just a tid bit also if your car has the ESP, truning it off will let the engine rev a bit higher and it feels more powerfull.

• 3 weeks later...

Saltydog:

Thanks for the tip. Just yesterday, the wife ate her words from a month ago about the Journey not being a Viper to: "It doesn't get up and go when I need to pass a semi/slowcar". We haven't touched the ESP button since purchase. It's bone dry in the state with no chances of rain for at least a week. Might try turning that ESP puppy off....