Crew package have a hard drive?

Hi all,

Possibly a new owner of a 2011 Dodge Journey Crew here in Toronto, Canada. I wanted to inquire and see if anyone can confirm if the CREW model has a hard drive built in to the 8.4 touch screen model? If so, does anyone know the capacity? I believe the Crew pkg I looked at did not come with the Uconnect option if that helps anyone.

I was told by the salesman about this, but couldn't really tell given we didn't explore the feature too much. I was then told that we could watch movies on this screen, only in park though. Can anyone confirm this that if I was to upload a video file, avi, mp4, or even a DVD, it will play?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Possibly a new owner of a 2011 Dodge Journey Crew here in Toronto, Canada. I wanted to inquire and see if anyone can confirm if the CREW model has a hard drive built in to the 8.4 touch screen model? If so, does anyone know the capacity? I believe the Crew pkg I looked at did not come with the Uconnect option if that helps anyone.

I was told by the salesman about this, but couldn't really tell given we didn't explore the feature too much. I was then told that we could watch movies on this screen, only in park though. Can anyone confirm this that if I was to upload a video file, avi, mp4, or even a DVD, it will play?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have a 2011 r/t with no hard drive, Instead it has a sd card slot. I was under the understanding that they dumped the harddrive for the sd card slot.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

I can confirm that there is no hard drive, only a SD Card reader, but it supports SDHC cards up to 64 Gb, which is more than enough IMO.

I know it can read mp3 from the SD card but never tried video files though. But I can confirm that the disc player reads DVD's only on park.

Thanks for the quick responses! When the sales guy was playing around with the screen, he briefly showed me where I could pick the source and stated that there was the hard drive option...that's what made me ask around on the forum. It seems that maybe the RT model has this feature, not the CREW, but as stated above, it seems it also doesn't have it. Not a biggie, I just don't like when sales people don't know what they are talking about. The SD feature is good enough for me given we can always plug in a IPOD or even a laptop if we wanted to! The DVD option is pretty cool, and looking around the forums it is possible to play videos while driving.

I've put a deposit down this morning on a white '11 CREW 5 seater, hope everything pans out and I can possible get the vehicle before the weekend :)

Another typical, uninformed salesman. So frustrating!

None of the 2011 Journeys have a hard drive.

I have a 2011 Crew with the 8.4N system. The SD Card is only for playing music. Not photos or movies. You can put a DVD in the CD/DVD slot and the movie will play on the 8.4" screen only while you are parked, unless you buy the lockpick. Trying to watch a DVD playing on that screen from the second row seats would not be very much fun or easy, I wouldn't think. You certainly shouldn't be watching while driving either!

Better to get a standalone DVD player that you can attach to the headrests of the front seats for second row passengers.

By the way WELCOME!! This is the best forum for Dodge Journey owners.

I have a 2011 Crew with the 8.4N system. The SD Card is only for playing music. Not photos or movies.

By the way WELCOME!! This is the best forum for Dodge Journey owners.

That is one of the differences between a 2010 and a 2011. In my 2010 it has a 30 gig hard drive which will will support photos etc. I won't comment which is better as they both have some advantages. :)

I'll second what drb227 said "By the way WELCOME!! This is the best forum for Dodge Journey owners"

Terry

Thanks again all for the kind welcome! I signed off this morning on the CREW, quite excited and nervous...haven't had a brand new car for almost 7 years now!

I know it's under the wrong forum, but did you or would you take the undercoating and rustproofing from Chrysler? They offered it to me for $677 plus tax ($765 all in) for liftetime warranty.

Not sure if I should take it, but I do believe in rustprooding and do it every other year on my car and it's worked.

Any advice...opinions?

To be honest, I think it's too expensive from the dealership and turned it down just now before they started prepping my Journey for delivery on Monday.

I've used Krown every other year for my Lancer and I have had no rust issues, aside from surface rust due to rock chips, but it has never spread nor ate through the metal. I figured the body of our Journey has gone through some rust proofing at the plant; dipping it into their solution before assembly. I will probably take it to a rust proofing place next year, but ensuring that I wash off majority of salt and debris during the winter months to ensure salt does subside on the car.

In my last vehicle (03 neon) I did not opt for the rust proofing/undercoating... I live in a snow belt, so there is tons of snow from November - April. I have not had any issues with rust/salt or anything.

I believe that it came on my 2011 Journey as a dealer option that was already done before I bought it.

Not only does the Crew have an SD slot, but it also has a USB slot inside the front console between the front seats. I've got a 16gb USB stick in there loaded with MP3's. At first i was disappointed there was no hard drive as my 08 AVenger had one and I loved it, but now I love the USB port so much more. Much easier to transfer songs back and forth from my PC to my vehicle. Before with the HD I'd transfer them from my PC, to USB, then to the HD in the car. Now, its just plug and play. Love it.