Dirty Little Secret

Are you the same bobthebuilder from LXForums?

Chrysler would have to see if the problem is isolated, or wide spread first

i seriously doubt that,

1 - they would replace the transmission if water was present, unless the trans was unserviceable

2 -they would deny there's an issue with water entering the transmission

3 - can't afford to replace the transmission

(1) They would source the problem; how and where the water is entering, rectify the problem and retrofit those transmissions that are in use

(2) They have an extensive and diverse data base on all repairs performed to their vehicles at dealerships, so if the same issue is found in many vehicles, they would issue a TSB and corrective actions.

(3) They have insurance for this, or in instances where Chrysler doesn't manufacture their own parts, the vendor would be liable.

First of all i moved this topic in the Dodge Journey : powertrain section because this post do not belong in the lounge section. Learn where to post.

Second , you don't give any infos about what model you have beside the '' journey 2009 '' in your profile .. a little more will help.

Lastly , if your car is AWD , it's probably the water coming out from the evacuating hose of the climatisation system. The hose must be re-routed

because the water is entering by the vent of the PTO and finally find his way inside the transmission. It's only a guess , your problem could be something else

but iv seen this one time. So go and check this out.

First of all i moved this topic in the Dodge Journey : powertrain section because this post do not belong in the lounge section. Learn where to post.

Second , you don't give any infos about what model you have beside the '' journey 2009 '' in your profile .. a little more will help.

Lastly , if your car is AWD , it's probably the water coming out from the evacuating hose of the climatisation system. The hose must be re-routed

because the water is entering by the vent of the PTO and finally find his way inside the transmission. It's only a guess , your problem could be something else

If you read my previous post on "water in the transmission" you'll find out about all the details. I am not looking to bash Dodge, i have an SRT8 magnum and love it. I just don't want to pay $4500 for something that is not my fault, which is what dodge seems to want me to do.

My local dealer told me that there is no way that water can get from the PTO into the transmission...

FYI...

This is what i posted on-line about the car:

Hi all, I have a 2008 Magnum SRT8 and a Journey. We recently had the Journey taken in on a flatbed, loss of power to the drivetrain. As it turns out there was water in the transmission, about 1/2 quart I was told. I was asked if we had driven through high water, we have not, nor any large puddles. I did however drive in some very heavy rain, had to pull over as I could not see the road. The car only has 32,500 and is still covered under the warranty, except, they say, in this case, as the water was not put in by the manufacturer!! This is where it gets interesting, as they were convinced that the only way water can get into a journey AWD is one of two ways, filler cap and high water, it must be my fault, right. So i posed this question to them - If indeed we did drive through high water, how high is the vent and how much water would you have to drive through in order to get 1/2 quart of water into the transmission. As it turns out the vent is 2.5 - 3 feet from the ground, so driving through high water and getting water into the vent without your car floating away and other problems arising, would be impossible, I'm assuming. Then they said that a 8-9" puddle can also get water into the vent. So I asked them how long would you have to drive through a 8-9" puddle to get 1/2quart water into the transmission, seems highly unlikely to me that either way seems plausible. No-one can give me a strait forward honest answer. So at the end of all that Dodge is refusing to pay for a new transmission ($4500), kinda out of line I think... Has anyone had any experience with this and how to handle the situation. I did see a post from last year about this and how the dealer said that it would be almost impossible for water to get into the transmission via the vent from puddles and heavy rain, however the drain hose near the PTO/PTU can leak into it.

Charliie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to update you on my water in the transmission. Lets start with the bill, $6772.45! The good news is that they raised my vents up higher off the ground, although they deny there being a problem with the vents in the first place. I also got denied by my Insurance company, they claim that the transmission was wear and tear, not as Dodge claims contaminated transmission fluid. Who's right and who's wrong, seems sort of fishy to me. All I know is that I will not be able to buy a dodge again.