Transmission gear noise with 62TE (3.6 drivetrain)

Geer

3 weeks driving my '11 now. From day one noticed gear noise - sounds like 3rd gear but sometimes can hear it over two gear ranges, so it might not be a specific gear. Also I have AWD so it could even be the transfer case.

Its a high pitched whine, fairly subdued but noticeable nonetheless, that coincides with rpm. At first I thought it was radio interference from the ignition system, but its not. It also sounds like gear noise in a high mileage car, when coasting. But this is under throttle.

Anyone else notice or have dealt with this?

Edited by Geer

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

3 weeks driving my '11 now. From day one noticed gear noise - sounds like 3rd gear but sometimes can hear it over two gear ranges, so it might not be a specific gear. Also I have AWD so it could even be the transfer case.

Sorry to hear of your problems Geer, as you probably know I have a 2010 AWD R/T and so far have not heard the noise. At the risk of stating the obvious I suggest having your dealer look at it and report back to us if they find anything. did you ever find out the problem?

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• Official Dodge Support

My 2009 I just got does something like that. When i get up to about 30mph it starts making this whiny/gargly kind of sound and when I'm on the freeway and I softly push on the accelerator it makes this weird whiny sound. I don't like it!!

Bam,

What engine do you have in your vehicle?

• 3 weeks later...

I am dealing with the same thing in my 2010 Journey SXT w/ the All Wheel Drive. I only have 19,000 miles on it. I notice the whine more when it's cold, but still can hear it when it's warm. I hear it while accelerating up thru about 40 MPH then can't really hear it anymore. This could be because either the wind noise drowns out the sound, or the whine stops. WHo knows.... but I have the same EXACT problem.

I am dealing with the same thing in my 2010 Journey SXT w/ the All Wheel Drive. I only have 19,000 miles on it. I notice the whine more when it's cold, but still can hear it when it's warm. I hear it while accelerating up thru about 40 MPH then can't really hear it anymore. This could be because either the wind noise drowns out the sound, or the whine stops. WHo knows.... but I have the same EXACT problem.

Update on my end: I had it in to the dealer to have it checked - the mechanic test drove it and found nothing wrong. I noticed it the day I picked it up new, and it might be slightly louder now. I initially thought it was radio interference of the ignition system, but no. It's not associated with one gear, I hear it at least through 3rd and 4th gears. It does not change with shifts or engine speed - it changes with road speed. Therefore I believe it could be in the planetary gears of the transaxle, or possibly in the transfer unit but I think the transaxle personally. Sounds just like a manual transmission with alot of miles that whines on the 'coast' side of the gears.

Don't know what else to do - maybe it's normal but I don't consider that acceptable on a new vehicle.

Edited by Geer

• 1 year later...

Just bought a 2012 SXT with 16000 miles and I noticed a whine like this almost immediately. I can actually recreate it without fail by manually getting to 3000rpm in 4th gear and then letting of the gas so the engine winds down, its sooooo loud. Never heard an engine make a high pitch sound like that. When I first heard it i was like........is this engine supercharged or turbo and I dont know it? Still cant figure it out. Calling dealer tomarrow.