2011 Journey R/T

Woodsey

I bought a new 2011 Journey R/T 2 months ago, and for the most part love the car. It is loaded with more options then I have ever had on a car before. The power is great, it handles awesome and very comfortable to drive, and with all the options makes driving fun.

But I am frustrated with the match between the new Penstar engine and 6 speed transmission. My transmission has the most frustrating shift patterns. It shifts into 2 hard and it feels like it bogs down shifting into 3 and 4. In the higher gears I don't seem to have the downshifting problems that some owners have but in lower gears it doesn't seem to go. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar frustrations? Mine was built in December so hopefully they will offer a TCM update soon.

Yes, there's a few threads on the forums here with similar feelings.

My tranny seemed the same at first, but seems better now. Perhaps the computer adapted and learned? Or maybe I'm just used to it now? I don't know...

There are no updates currently that we're aware of.

My 2011 Crew has a very rough upshift from 2nd to 3rd and downshift from 4th to 3rd. It is also very reluctant to downshift unless you really put your foot into it.

I am going to have my dealer look into this at my first oil change at 5000kms. I am currently around 4400kms, so I expect to take it in for the oil change in the next few weeks.

although i haven't recieved the journey yet, i think the transmission is probably going to behave like that for the first few 1000 thousands miles and then it will be broken and adjust. new cars tend to do this, my sister's brand 2011 rallye has weird shifting right now and it only has 700 miles on it.

I've had my R/T for about three weeks now and the transmission had none of the symptoms described above. However, the owner's manual does mention the fact that a break-in period is required and basically the transmission gets smoother after the first couple of thousands kilometers.

• 6 months later...

Do not let that hard shift between 2nd and 3rd go lightly! I took mine back to the dealer 4 days after to complain about that exact same thing. They told me it was normal break in. It is not! Ive had 4 brand new vehicles in the last 3 years and a half. 08 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 09 Pontiac G8 GT, 11 Dodge Journey SXT and a 12 Mustang GT. None of the other vehicles ever did that. Stupid me listened to them and not my gut. On Nov 14th i had a really hard shift from 2nd to 3rd on the middle of one of the busiest intersections in ontario. The vehicle almost stalled out thumped and almost got hit by a transport trying to beat a yellow light.

That hard shift triggered the "ETC" light and "Engine light". The dealer has since changed cam phasers seals and valves. Gave me back the vehicle and the same thing happened the next day again. They changed seals and o rings this time and nothing. Chrysler engineering has told the dealer to replace the computer ( no solution), Power distribution block ( no solution) and now the Main engine wireing harness ( no solution).

This has turned into a huge nightmare because dealerships hire techs and not mechanics.

Dont even bother trying to deal with customer service either its a waste of time and only causes more frustrating.

November 14th to december 2nd with no progress and a vehicle they wont return to me because its unsafe to do so!

Good luck to all!

Edited by Crappy Dodge Journey