4 Pin to 7 Pin

deulyd

I own a 2011 R/T AWD Journey, with the trailer prep. When I bought it I wasn't really aware that there was different connectors for towing, so I didn't bother checking that out.

Now I'd like to tow a travel trailer (about 3200lbs) that requires a 7 Pin connector.

I know there is some 4Pin to 7Pin converter on the market, but you still have to plug the remaining 3 pins. As I understand it; 1 is for brakes, 1 for the battery and 1 for the ground.

- The battery connection is probably easy since there is a 12 volt connector on the back

- Ground connection is (probably) the frame of the car

- Now for the brakes is there an easy way to connect it at the back?

Anyone already did that or have more info?

Thanks

I take it the trailer prep package came with a harness (in a bag) that splices into the existing wiring ?? That is great for utility trailers but for larger ones you MUST go to 7 pin. In 2009 there was a harness available from Mopar (PN 82211011) that wired direct to the control module in the engine compartment. There is a wire included which is reserved for the cabin mounted electric brake control. It is not easy to install but once it is it is worry free and well worth the $125.00 it then cost. I purchased a 7/4 pin Multitow plug (uHaul PN 30966) that I mounted direct to the metal behind the rear bumper fascia. I can plug in the 7 pin trlr harness or the 4 pin. I have been hauling the travel trailer with this set up for two years now with no issues.

If you want to go this route then i would first check with the dealer and ensure that this harness is available and is compatible with your model year, or perhaps they have an updated version. Otherwise it would be to your benefit (and ease of mind) to make an appointment with a reputable trailer dealer and have one properly installed from their stock. You have to be mindful of the power requirement for the 2011 rear lighting having been drastically reduced due to LED lighting. There may be a lack of power to run trailer lights that have incandescent bulbs.

Good luck and happy trailering

You may want to also check that the factory harness is working properly. I purchased a 2011 R/T with the trailer prep package 2 months ago and was told by the dealer that it needed a flash update in order for it to work with the rear LED lights. They finally did the flash update a few weeks ago and I had to call Dodge to get the dealer to cover the cost because they said it wasn't a warranty issue. You may want to double check and make sure the software has been updated for the new harness.

I also heard of that software update is available for the LED lights, but I don't know if I have the fixed version or not... Is there any way to know?

I aksed the dealer for a 2" hitch... He said 466$ (installed) plus taxes!!!! WOW, that is expensive! I can get an "Hidden Hitch" installed for less than half the price somewhere else! :S. Is there any advantages of going with the Mopar one?

THe dealer also told me that we cannot convert the 4 Pin to a 7 Pin! :o Is that true? I don't believe it! I would really be disapointed. I'll keep searching.

If you merely want to plug in a trailer that uses a 7 pin plug, you could use this adapter.post-3376-0-01438800-1306809667_thumb.jp

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/adapters/standard/4-wire_flat_to_7_rv_blade_plastic_adapter.html

If the trailer has brakes, you would need to install a brake controller, which gets more involved but is absolutely possible.

Edited by SaskGuy

I also heard of that software update is available for the LED lights, but I don't know if I have the fixed version or not... Is there any way to know?

I aksed the dealer for a 2" hitch... He said 466$ (installed) plus taxes!!!! WOW, that is expensive! I can get an "Hidden Hitch" installed for less than half the price somewhere else! :S. Is there any advantages of going with the Mopar one?

You're in the same boat that I am... I don't have the hitch yet, but I will probably install it myself to save on the labor ($180 for labor is what i was quoted). I just want to make sure that I get this magical update, and that the dealer will know what I'm talking about. From what a previous posted said, it is just a flash update, so I am hoping that when I go there, if I say something like 'I need the software updated that controls the lights to allow me to hook a trailer to it... The LED rear lights don't have enough power to give to the trailer lights' they might have an idea what I am talking about. I'd like go get this flash update done before I install the hitch so I can make sure that I didn't screw something up when I install it. I am hoping that it doesn't require a different harness then the one that came in the trunk with the tow prep. Only time will tell I suppose.

In regards to the price, in Canada, my dealership quoted me about $290 for the hitch, and $180 for install. Looking through the instructions, the install doesn't look too bad. As for advantages, in looking through some of the pictures, the Mopar hitch looks a little more aesthetically appealing. The hitch itself doesn't stick out or anything either since it's a vertical one. Performance-wise, I don't think there would be any difference with a Mopar vs a Hidden Hitch. I think it's ultimately up to each person's tastes.

If you do get the update installed before I do, let me know how that went with your dealer, and if there was anything special you had to say.

• 1 month later...

I own a 2011 R/T AWD Journey, with the trailer prep. When I bought it I wasn't really aware that there was different connectors for towing, so I didn't bother checking that out.

Now I'd like to tow a travel trailer (about 3200lbs) that requires a 7 Pin connector.

I know there is some 4Pin to 7Pin converter on the market, but you still have to plug the remaining 3 pins. As I understand it; 1 is for brakes, 1 for the battery and 1 for the ground.

- The battery connection is probably easy since there is a 12 volt connector on the back

- Ground connection is (probably) the frame of the car

- Now for the brakes is there an easy way to connect it at the back?

Anyone already did that or have more info?

Thanks

What I would do about the brake controller and and 12v battery supply is avoid all the headaches and pay your local hitch dealer to install the wiring. It wont't likely cost that much but you will know it's done properly.