How important is offset?

AdamBrisebois

Hello Journeyers.

First post here. My Wife has a 2010 Journey R/T with the 19" Alloy wheels.

So far, we've had to replace two tires from road hazards. Yesterday, we lost a 3rd. I'm tired of paying $200+ a tire, and now that the tires are mismatched, I'm afraid of issues with the AWD. I'm going to replace all four tires at the same time, but I'd like to get a smaller Wheel so that tires are less expensive in the future. And, as I foresee more popped tires in the future, and am trying to save my wallet a bit by planning ahead.

The wife found a set of wheels that she likes, and I was researching the specs, they list the offset as 2mm, and I've read in a few threads people say the offset should be 35mm.

My question is with a 2mm offset, would this cause rubbing issues, aesthetic problems, etc?

Here are the wheels we're looking at:

http://www.aewheel.com/wheels_detail_specs.cfm?id=356 (although, they would be the chrome/accented version, not the black)

If these wheels won't work, does anyone else have any links to 16" wheels that are confirmed to fit?

We live in New Hampshire, and would consider a direct trade for a set of 17" OE rims, if anyone wants a set of 19" Alloys, with 3 good tires, one has a small sidewall puncture, but holds air for a day or two.

Thanks in advance for the help!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Journeyers.

First post here. My Wife has a 2010 Journey R/T with the 19" Alloy wheels.

So far, we've had to replace two tires from road hazards. Yesterday, we lost a 3rd. I'm tired of paying $200+ a tire, and now that the tires are mismatched, I'm afraid of issues with the AWD. I'm going to replace all four tires at the same time, but I'd like to get a smaller Wheel so that tires are less expensive in the future. And, as I foresee more popped tires in the future, and am trying to save my wallet a bit by planning ahead.

The wife found a set of wheels that she likes, and I was researching the specs, they list the offset as 2mm, and I've read in a few threads people say the offset should be 35mm.

My question is with a 2mm offset, would this cause rubbing issues, aesthetic problems, etc?

Here are the wheels we're looking at:

http://www.aewheel.com/wheels_detail_specs.cfm?id=356 (although, they would be the chrome/accented version, not the black)

If these wheels won't work, does anyone else have any links to 16" wheels that are confirmed to fit?

We live in New Hampshire, and would consider a direct trade for a set of 17" OE rims, if anyone wants a set of 19" Alloys, with 3 good tires, one has a small sidewall puncture, but holds air for a day or two.

Thanks in advance for the help!

That sounds like a pretty big difference in offset. It would make your wheels stick out almost an 1 1/4" more. This might look funny, and possibly cause handling issues.

I was wondering if you found something that would work. I have a set of 17" wheels with a 17x7.5 with a 51mm offset I was thinking about for winter tires, but am not sure if that is too much.