Delivery Day was an awful experience :(

Geer

Getting a brand new car is exciting and wonderful...well it's supposed to be, right? I picked up the R/T today and of the 5 new vehicles I have purchased in my life, this day was spoiled by my dealer. Especially given this is the first car I've factory ordered.

From day one of ordering, my dealer did not impress me in the least, but I stuck with them because of the deal I got out of them. Somewhere in the process my salesman disappeared, and when I went in about 5-6 weeks ago, I was informed that he no longer worked there! Nobody bothered to call me to reassign another salesman. I couldn't help but wonder if the reason this guy left or got turfed was my deal, because I talked that poor fellow out of alot of money after he told me "the dealership didn't have to make money on every car, they want to move inventory"!!

Anyway, after the shipping and delivery delays, my new salesman called yesterday and says to come first thing in the morning to finish paperwork and take delivery. My wife and I get there at 8:30 and waited (keep in mind we're both missing work now). First receptionist said my salesman will be in shortly. OK, fine. 9:00 comes and goes and the showroom has been open for 1/2 hr now and there's not a sales associate or manager to be seen anywhere. I go to another receptionist (1st one still there) and she informs me "all the guys are out for breakfast at their meeting". WTF?!?! I make an appointment and nobody's there! I could have had $120k burning a hole in my wallet to buy a Viper and nobody was in to make a sale!

The receptionist could basically have cared less and made little effort more than a token call. At that point it was clear I was not getting my Journey so I told my wife to leave and go to work. I went into the service bay and managed to get help from a service associate who actually gave a damn about my situation and got me a rental car so that I could go to work. Got the rental....Nissan Versa which is basically a shopping cart...but its wheels...

Get a call and an excuse later in the morning, and an apology, and they say come down at 4pm. So my wife and I take more time off work and head back down. I get there first and have a look at my car. Happy to see it, but was disappointed in the half-ass "detailing" of the vehicle they promised me. Black shows everything, but it was still dirty here and there, watermarks from a lousy wash, and the interior was not spic & span like I would have expected it to be after shelling out $30k for this thing. There was even tire dressing on the front fenders!

All the options were there except no VC and BT buttons. Came through with the new "performance" fascia which I have fallen for very quickly (wasn't sure if I would like it or not).

Anyway, we go through paperwork and it's getting near close time. My wife runs over to get the insurance and plates, and I return the rental. Now past closing and employees are fleeing the building! They are rushing me - again not impressed for having given them the business I did.

Partial victory: I showed them all the papers indicating the 8.4N is supposed to come with Bluetooth and Voice Command. I didn't specifically order the $300 option since the brochure says "included" with 8.4N So my dealer offers a free MoPar Bluetooth Accessory add-on, or to give me "dealer cost" on the factory equipment add-on for VC and BT. Seriously, I was insulted but since the factory equipment is not even available yet, I agreed to take the Mopar aftermarket set-up and run. US retail is $407 apparently. I will still launch a complaint with Chrysler as it amounts to inaccurate/false advertizing.

Well now we're pretty much done, and I'm mentally cooked from the anxiety of the whole experience and the icing on the cake was the lousy detailing job which I was not going to complain about because I just want to get the hell out of there at that point. So the salesman does his quick walk-around to explain features etc. Turn on the engine and the EVIC registers 38 miles on the odometer! I've never had a new car delivered with more than 6-7 miles on it, which I fully expect. But 38?! WTF?!?! Did somebody decide to take it on a joy ride, after all its an R/T right? Mention this to the salesman and he tries to explain it's from it being driven/tested during PDI. Now I call complete BS to myself, but like I said I was fried and PO'd and needed to get out of there before I punched this guy in the head I'm so unpleased!

Drove home, flustered, and mixed myself one VERY stiff drink! Man I needed that! Waited 4 hrs to get that out of my system and went for a spin tonight. That quickly melted away the bad affair at the dealer!

First, I love the new fascia and overall body styling. The LED taillamps look totally awesome at night. The interior is wonderful- leather seats nicely sized and extremely comfortable. Controls and placement are great. LED door puddle lamps and interior LED lamps are cool. The 8.4N rocks - worth the money (but seriously the top end media system should come std w/ bluetooth and VC).

Engine power - trying to follow a sensible break-in so haven't tapped the full acceleration, but I can feel its there. Transaxle likes to upshift and resist downshifts even with a good dose of throttle. But the ride and handling impresses me the most. Even with the R/T performance suspension and big rims with low profile tires, its got a hell of a nice ride. But the best part - the handling is exceptional. The weight of this vehicle does not translate in its handling characteristics - very nimble and agile, even when pressed hard into corners or quick moves. Handles like a medium-sized car. Boy they really got that right!!

Anyway, the day has exhausted me, even emotionally due to the anxiety and being cheated out of enjoying the experience. I'm tired so I'll sign off. I'll share my experience tomorrow concerning the purchase of warranty - they threw me a curve ball I wasn't expecting.

Later guys & gals!

Edited by Geer

Hi,

I've read your story and its really sad to see that dealers don't really care about you after they made the sale.

I would've been really frustrated to see that the BT and VC are not part of the car I bought.

By the way the BlueTooth works greatly, excellent communication (in booth ways) even when on highway at 120kmh. Hope for you that the Mopar you got works as well as the stock one :/

You should forward all that to Chrysler Canada to let them know how bad your service was!

Hey Geer,

Man, that dealership experience sucks. If I were you, I would name them to help other people avoid them. It is so terrible to have what is a very exciting day ruined by those ass hats.

At least you are happy with the Journey. That is what really matters in the end!!

Please do keep us informed about the Bluetooth system they are installing. I'm curious to know what it looks like and how well it works.

• 1 month later...

I also had a bad experience with my Dealership.

My salesman seemed to be great to start off with. On my second visit to the dealership he walked right up to me shook my hand and remembered my name. After I decided to officially order the 2011 Dodge Journey LUX model - most conversations stopped. Sure, when I went to the dealership for updates I was always greeted with a "hello, how are you", but nothing like the intial excitment. I'd also call and text my salesman for updates only to wait week or never get a response. That is totally frustrating. He was the nicest person, just a bad "follow-up" guy.

So, after 3+ months of waiting my Journey finally arrives. I set up a time to come in after work. My car is sitting out front all nice and shiney (from afar). I go in and talk to my salesman, he takes all of my information including the 2 trade in vehicles and pay-off amounts. He verified by calling the banks. I was then moved to another office and started the official paperwork with the Finance Manager. He moved fast and furious, I think he wanted to get out at closing time (it was Friday).

I work for AT&T and we get a discount through the Chrysler Affiliate program. I made sure to print off all the necessary paperwork and codes to show the dealer. The dealer had no clue as to how the program worked but made it SEEM like they did. They had already figured out the price of the car beforehand and showed me the break down without knowing that I get the "special" price listed on the left side of the dealer invoice. I asked to see the invoice and they brought it to me. The price they were charging was $37,585.00 - The Preferred Price for Affiliate members was listed as $34,465.00. So the Manager took back the price sheet and refigured my cost. When he brought it back to show me, the customer cash and rebates ($3120.) had been re-calculated to reduce the $37,585. to $34,465. and he said "that's how the program works".

Yesterday I had some time on my hands so I thought I'd review the paperwork. I should have taken the time the day I signed them. I called the Chrysler Affiliate hotline and explained what the dealer did, they told me the dealer needs to START with the preferred price and reduce from there. So the way the dealer figured the price, I got $0.00 customer cash and $0.00 rebate. What a rip off.

This morning I log into my checking account and found a $400 payment auto debited for one of my trade-in cars. Come to find out, the dealership switched the pay-off amounts and sent them to the opposite bank loans. So now I have an overpayment on one and an underpayment on the other. That's going to be a mess to get fixed. Hope they can figure it out before July 11th when I have to make my first payment on the Journey.

I contacted my new auto loan bank and spoke with a very friendly guy named Josh, he wanted to make sure everything went okay and he wanted to go over all of the loan numbers. His first number was the percentage rate - 3.49% for 60 months. I told Josh that the dealer was offering 3.99% but if I bought the extended warranty for $1700, that the rate would go down to 3.49%. Josh said that was a total LIE. Josh said if I didn't want the extended warranty that I had 30 days to cancel and my rate would stay the same (3.49%).

I love the 2011 Dodge Journey LUX - but this has been a rough ordeal. To everyone getting ready to buy - know your facts, take your time, read everything, ask questions, keep your cell phone handy just in case you need to verify something with an experienced car dealing honest friend, and don't let the dealer bully you.

Hey Geer,

Since we're both in the 'peg, I'm curious to know which dealer this was.

Never mind. I can see the dealer badge in your photos. Based on your experience, I'm surprised you've left the dealer's plate brackets and sticker on there.

We dealt with Eastern and it was an AMAZING experience! We went there because they were the only local dealer on the Car Cost Canada program. We got a great deal and they treated us like gold from the first contact to the moment we drove away. This was the third car I'd bought from a dealer, and the second brand new, and I can't say enough how different the experience was at Eastern. I HIGHLY recommend.

Edited by Powdered Toast Man

• 3 months later...

Wow. That is a truly horrible dealer experience for what should be an exciting day!! I hope mine is better on Tuesday!

Make sure you remember it on your next vehicle purchase - and go somewhere else. Then drive in and point out that you didn't buy from them - and remind them why. It's one thing to talk with your wallet and not give them future business ... it's another to make a point of TELLING them you're not going to deal with them and why. That's speaks much louder.