No more UConnect 8.4" : Japan supplier problem

deulyd

Hi,

I just got back from the dealer for a test Drive.

The salesman told me he received an email from Chrysler yesterday saying that the 8.4 Touchscreen will not be available on the next Journey 2011 orders (even for R/T model) they will replace it for the 4.3" screen. They said its because the supplier is in Japan and they cannot order pieces anymore. He also said that some colors would not be available ford order.

Anybody else heard that, have some more details???

I was hoping to order mine in the next couple weeks, but without the 8.4" screen that changes EVERYTHING!!! :(

Thanks

Understandable given the situation in Japan but that is really crappy for future Journey buyers. In Canada, the 8.4" screen is standard on the Crew and R/T. I would hope Chrysler is planning to lower the price on these two models accordingly if they really cannot get enough 8.4" units. This will also affect the Charger and 300, since they both use this system as well.

In fact the 300 only comes with the 8.4" screen. I wonder if they will drop that to the 4.3 as well?? I guess they will have to if they want to keep selling the 2011 300?

I have heard about certain paint colours not being available but that affects most manufacturers, not just Chrysler.

Edited by drb227

Understandable given the situation in Japan but that is really crappy for future Journey buyers. In Canada, the 8.4" screen is standard on the Crew and R/T. I would hope Chrysler is planning to lower the price on these two models accordingly if they really cannot get enough 8.4" units. This will also affect the Charger and 300, since they both use this system as well.

In fact the 300 only comes with the 8.4" screen. I wonder if they will drop that to the 4.3 as well?? I guess they will have to if they want to keep selling the 2011 300?

I have heard about certain paint colours not being available but that affects most manufacturers, not just Chrysler.

In my opinion, I don't care if they drop the price of the CREW and R/T, It's definitely a buy or not buy situation!!!

I found the paint replacement list for all chrysler models here :

https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/v7fleet/StaticFiles/files/general/Replacement_Paint_Colors.xlsx

But found nothing about the 8.4" UConnect

Hi,

I just got back from the dealer for a test Drive.

The salesman told me he received an email from Chrysler yesterday saying that the 8.4 Touchscreen will not be available on the next Journey 2011 orders (even for R/T model) they will replace it for the 4.3" screen. They said its because the supplier is in Japan and they cannot order pieces anymore. He also said that some colors would not be available ford order.

Anybody else heard that, have some more details???

I was hoping to order mine in the next couple weeks, but without the 8.4" screen that changes EVERYTHING!!! :(

Thanks

Ouch, quite a blow to the Journey IMO. This is one of the things where Dodge really had blown the competition out of the water, Chevy has nothing that somes close, nor most of the other rivals. The 8.4 is a unit that you'd expect in a high-end automobile and is very sharp both in appearance and operation. The 4.3 is kinda ho-hum once you've seen that gigantic 8.4!

Well, all I can say is I'm glad I ordered when I did. I'm expecting my R/T within a week now, and although I know what I ordered I'm still not 100% sure what I'll end up seeing on pick-up day. The new fascia might be hanging on it, or not. And the elusive bluetooth, well we all know about that story!

. . .as for the colours . . .all dark pigments are made in Japan and now limited to existing stock so red, black, blackberry etc. are out for now. I was able to get the dark cherry recently but at the at the time there were only 11 available in Ontario. Light colours are the only ones shown on the dodge.ca website!