towing

340tom

Hi.

I would like to hear from anyone who has used a journey fwd to tow. My needs are to tow a 2,000lb. boat motor and trailer plus have 4 adults and gear in the vehicle (1,200lbs.) Mostly short trips but one or two 900 mile return trips per year. Would all wheel drive be stronger and more durable? I like the durango and it would surely have more capabilities, but I find the journey easier to live with (size and cost of ownership)

Thanks

Tom

Hi.

I would like to hear from anyone who has used a journey fwd to tow. My needs are to tow a 2,000lb. boat motor and trailer plus have 4 adults and gear in the vehicle (1,200lbs.) Mostly short trips but one or two 900 mile return trips per year. Would all wheel drive be stronger and more durable? I like the durango and it would surely have more capabilities, but I find the journey easier to live with (size and cost of ownership)

Thanks

Tom

Not sure what year you have but Dodge lists the following for the 2010 models:

2.4L engine - 1,000 lbs max

3.5L SXT/RT - 1,000 lbs standard, 3500 lbs max*

3.5L SXT/RT AWD - 1,000 lbs standard, 3,000 lbs max*

*I'm guessing the max loads are with the towing package installed.

However, that doesn't factor in allowing for the tonque weight and safety margin (10%-20%).

Though this link pertains to travel trailers, it has a lot of good information and you can plug in the needed values (GVWR, etc) to help determine what you can tow.

Taking into account your trailer weight, estimated load in the vehicle, tongue weight and safety margin, it would not surprise me to see you are at or over the CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

I have posted elsewhere on this forum relative to towing large weights. For a 6 cyl 3.5 l I have had no issues hauling 3500 lbs of trailer with two adults and a dog. Yes gas consumption increases and why wouldn't it. With the proper distribution and draw bar set up (load leveling) you will have no problem towing your boat as described. That is providing of course you are not powered by the 4 cyl. Check out the hauling and towing section for further info.

Edited by BUGS