Problem removing key FOB from ignition

We have started to have an infrequent problem where the key FOB is not being released when we turn off the ignition.

Happened a few times for the wife and once for me.

Last time car was on level ground with wheels straight. Park lever clearly in park. Key would not release. Turning the key on, starting, moving into drive, and stopping again allowed the key to release.

When the key properly releases, you can hear a click at the dash.

In other vehicles, this is usually a problem with the park cable linkage not being properly adjusted.

Any thoughts?

the car clearly in park, which means the Gauge Cluster reads "Park", right?

If that is the case, you need a WIN module. (on the ignition cyln.)

I hope you are still underwaranty.

-Good luck.

I'm keeping an eye on the problem.

What is a WIN module and what does it do?

The car is 13 month old - not sure if this is still under warranty but I think it is 3 years or 36,000 miles.

I'm keeping an eye on the problem.

What is a WIN module and what does it do?

The car is 13 month old - not sure if this is still under warranty but I think it is 3 years or 36,000 miles.

The WIN module do a lot of things. It is an electronic device that wraps around the Ignition Cylin. It tells the PCM the Key position,if the right key is inserted, and it has solenoid that release the Key when you put the car in park.

It also does a lot of other things like Picking up tire pressure sensor signal and remote keyless entry, etc...

Give your dealership a call. There is a STAR tech tip on what you are experiencing, if they look it up, they probably will just fix it.

If they give you hard time about it, just act all upset with your car, and threaten to trade it in and never buy a Dodge product again. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

The WIN module do a lot of things. It is an electronic device that wraps around the Ignition Cylin. It tells the PCM the Key position,if the right key is inserted, and it has solenoid that release the Key when you put the car in park.

It also does a lot of other things like Picking up tire pressure sensor signal and remote keyless entry, etc...

Give your dealership a call. There is a STAR tech tip on what you are experiencing, if they look it up, they probably will just fix it.

If they give you hard time about it, just act all upset with your car, and threaten to trade it in and never buy a Dodge product again. dry.gif

Hi,

I have had this several times before on my deisel automatic.

key needs to come out in park but if I go into park too quickly it won't come out.

So I put in neutral rev once them go to park and it comes out.

????????????????????????

Hi,

I have had this several times before on my deisel automatic.

key needs to come out in park but if I go into park too quickly it won't come out.

So I put in neutral rev once them go to park and it comes out.

????????????????????????

Go slower next time, these shifter are more fragile than you think, you might end up breaking it. <_<

I have a few customer broke the piece of plastic that attach the lever to the cable, because the pull on it too hard or too fast.

• 6 months later...

Took the car in for the the ORC module recall. Asked the dealer to look at the FOB release issue. They asked for both key fobs. They professed no knowledge of any STAR tech bulletin. Of course - they could not duplicate the problem. They gave my wife some BS details about keeping her foot on the brake when removing the key. The tech said she could not replace any part without seeing a symptom as all part had to be returned to Chrysler for evaluation.

We'll see what happens as the problem gets worse and we come out of warranty. At least the issue is listed on our service invoice for further discussion/negotiations.

Hope you are luckier than we were.

• 1 month later...
  • Official Dodge Support

Rav,

Chris from Chrysler Top Care here.

Sorry to hear about the issue with your vehicle. If you want to send me a private message with your name and VIN I can look up and send you all your warranty information and and technical service bulletins (TSB) that relate to your ignition issue. I will PM you whatever I can find out once I receive your info.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to all here on this situation.

After having the WIN module recall performed, this problem appears to have been corrected. The performance of the new locking mechanism is more deliberate (firmer) but the key removal situation apprears to be corrected by default (mechanism replacement).

I was surprised that 'Chris' (posted above) watches this board for Chrysler and he was quite pro-active with this situation - Thanks.

We also took advantage of the brake system offer (extending the warranty due to the previous issues with short brake component life) which addressed the warped rotors that had developed.

Enjoying the Journey as we approach 36,000 miles and two years.

Edited by RAV