Pcm/tcm update question

Shawn855

Now that I sold my other vehicle and only drive the journey, I'm becoming a lot more aware of the quirks it has since buying it at 50k kms. Specifically the way it shifts. It's like it jerks a bit before shifting into 4th, 5th and less noticeable 6th. It's to the point where I know when the suv is about to shift because I feel the little kick, then the 2nd kick as it shifts. 

I've seen some posts on the matter, but some of them had the issue go away with software updates. I don't think this suv received any software update so my question is this: is there a way to see if there are any pcm/tcm updates available for my car without going to the dealer and asking them? 

And if there are updates, would the dealer install them if I ask then to without them diagnosing anything, since the shifting jerks are random and not always there? 

In my mind I'd like to just go to the dealer and be like  "my tcm/pcm versions are this. Please update them to the most current versions".  Just to rule it out. I'm at 120k kms and these quirks have pretty much always been there. For the hell of it I did the transmission fluid drain and fill along with the filter. No change. 

Thanks 

Edited by Shawn855

i am no way a transmission man but since you replaced the filter and fluid,and it is still doing it there might be a trans update they could do but i would be more into the solenoid shift module which is inside of your trans might need a twick or something ..............one symptom of a bad unit,,,,,

3. Hard Gear Changes........... gear changes after a slow change up or down are another strong indicator of a shift solenoid problem. You’ll often hear a clunking sound, and the car might lurch for a moment as it grabs the next gear. Again, it can happen when you’re going up or down the tree, but you’re more likely to notice it shifting from first to second.

In some cars, hard downshifts with normal upshifting can mean that the problem is isolated to just the downshifting solenoid. This is just one solenoid in the entire transmission solenoid pack. You’re most likely to notice an issue like this if you’re coasting to a stop and the road has a mild incline. At some point, before you step on the brakes, the transmission downshifts with a soft “Clunk.”

4 hours ago, 2late4u said:

i am no way a transmission man but since you replaced the filter and fluid,and it is still doing it there might be a trans update they could do but i would be more into the solenoid shift module which is inside of your trans might need a twick or something ..............one symptom of a bad unit,,,,,

3. Hard Gear Changes........... gear changes after a slow change up or down are another strong indicator of a shift solenoid problem. You’ll often hear a clunking sound, and the car might lurch for a moment as it grabs the next gear. Again, it can happen when you’re going up or down the tree, but you’re more likely to notice it shifting from first to second.

In some cars, hard downshifts with normal upshifting can mean that the problem is isolated to just the downshifting solenoid. This is just one solenoid in the entire transmission solenoid pack. You’re most likely to notice an issue like this if you’re coasting to a stop and the road has a mild incline. At some point, before you step on the brakes, the transmission downshifts with a soft “Clunk.”

My erratic shifts are only upshifts. Downshifts are perfect. Theory: maybe I need to remove battery posts for an hour to reset the tcm learning since I now have fresh transmission fluid set at the correct level? (Vehicle was 20mm overfilled when i got it).