2018 Journey Rear End Is Shot

Scff503

Hey all, my wife and I have a 2018 Journey that the Transmission went out at 95,000. I had no idea that it was AWD so I tow-dolly'd it to the shop which apparently tore apart the rear end. Stupid, I know but I truly thought it was FWD as it's only a base model. Anyways... 4500$ for the transmission and they said I could probably baby it for a little while before the rear needed to be replaced. 

One trip to work and that was not the case. Horrible metal on metal coming from the rear. Had it towed home and just pulled the rear differential and viscous coupler out today. Is there any reason I can't just disconnect the drives haft, put everything back together and run it as a FWD car? I think I saw somewhere about having to out the stub shafts back in and tighten down the axle nut but nothing beyond that... If not, I'm going to have to source a used unit and was trying to avoid that strictly due to cost. Thanks in advance. 

There is several posts on site  about doing that. Just use search function. Need to remove drive shaft and I think people unplug the electrical plug on the rear diff. It’s the signal that turns on the rear wheel drive.

You can sell drive shaft, don’t throw away they are worth $500 ish new. No stub shaft to worry about on front ptu or rear diff.

Both will stay sealed. Just keep oil in them.