2012 Journey Rear End Bang/Shake Identification

Hi all,

I am working on my boss's wife's 2012 Dodge Journey. The complaint is there is a bang and vibration felt from the rear of the vehicle while reversing and turning. Verified the complaint, did some research and can't seem to find much about diagnosis. I have unplugged the Viscous Coupler on the rear axle and that seems to have taken care of 99% of the issue. There is still an ever so slight bang heard and felt now. I am wondering if there is any other way of diagnosing the Viscous Coupler, or if I should be looking into a rear axle. I noticed when I had both tires in the air, it took about 1/6th of a turn of one tire before the other side spun. I am not sure if that is normal or not either. I am trying to narrow it down to the coupler or axle, as both are very expensive new and don't want to start throwing parts at it without being sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

It’s probably the viscous coupler. They start to bind and cause the bang noise. The rear drive shaft can be removed to completely disable the rear drive system. Should get rid of all noises.  It is triggered to come on by 12 volt power signal, but it starts to bind even when not activated.

Check rear diff oil level and front ptu and maybe do a dump and fill to look for metal filings. The delay between wheels when turning by hand is normal.  Rear diff can start to leak 75w90 oil from side seals. 
Most people end up with a rear diff with viscous coupling as an assembly from a auto wrecker. Coupler can be separated and only used with your existing differential if it’s still ok. Buying coupler new from dealer is very pricy.