Traded it in because of all the problems

RickC

So I just couldn't take it anymore. My wife and I traded in our 09 Journey for a brand new 2010 Ford Edge and couldn't be happier. I'll list the problems we had with the Journey and maybe I'll save someone else the disappointment.

1) Power steering grinding noise - Fixed under TSB.

2) Constant wind howling noise (even with the roof rack cross bars placed where recommended)

3) Needed all 4 new brakes and rotors at 18,000 miles. I drive my 2005 Mustang more agressively than my wife drives the Journey and I've still got my original pads at over 95K miles.

4) Rear brake calipers were hanging up. It was causing the rear brakes to smoke, and the rotors got so hot they actually glowed red. Dealer told me it was normal and was caused by the stability control activating each brake independently. I'm a car guy who has restored a number of classic cars. I can smell BS a mile away.

5) On a couple of occasions we couldn't get the key out of the ignition. It was in park, brake set, car off... We had to restart the car, put it in Drive, then back to Park, then turn it off to get the key out.

6) Every once in a while when we go to start the car, all we get is a click. It does it once or twice, then it starts just fine. Can't recreate it, so the dealer can't fix it.

7) When you turn the wheels all the way to the lock, there is an occasional grinding noise.

8) Right rear tire suddenly started going bald on the outside edge, and noticed that the car was now pulling to the right. Took it in for an alignment (had to pay because that isn't warrantied). They said they recommend getting the car aligned every year. Once again I call BS. I've never had a car I had to align every year.

9) Car still pulled to the right after alignment.

10) Needs new tires. I managed to get almost 30K out of them, but the one started going bald. So I got quotes... well Kumo is the only brand that makes the 225/55/19 for the Journey RT. Over $900 for a set of tires, and I can't choose to buy a different manufacturer. Just to top that off, the tires are on "national backorder."

11) The shift lever can easily be knocked into reverse from drive. We had to make an emergency stop. My wife had her purse on the arm rest between the seats. It flew forward and knocked the shift lever into reverse. Fortunately when she let off the brake and started to go there was no one behind us!

Add to all of this that Dodge is no longer an American car company... I try to do my part to buy American whenever possible because I don't believe a person should complain about the economy when they buy foreign products when there are good American alternatives. When we bought the Journey, I knew the bad reputation Dodge/Chrysler had, but I figured it couldn't be THAT bad. Well, what good is a lifetime drivetrain warranty when the rest of the car is crap?

Oh well, call it a lesson learned, and I guess you'll be seeing me on the Ford Edge Forum...

Bye!

• 8 months later...

Good for you bud I also will not buy from Dodge or Chrysler ever again and not cause the my car is bad but cause of the way the dealer has treated me and my wife.

They don't deserve my money so I will in the future go with something else other than the big trio.

Im happy for you that it finally worked out for you and good luck with your edge and hopefully it will treat you better than your Journey did.

i'm sorry to hear, but i have to say, unfortunately you are on the dark side of things. Your little self could of got a loaded 2011 journey that's tons better than a ford edge. the 2011 is 20 years of 2009-10. TRUST ME, I HAD A 2010 JOURNEY SE 2.4, IT WAS a great car, did what i asked it, but quality and ride were not there. the 2011 is so quiet. look at all of dodge's 2011 lineup. i see that you bought the edge, that's great, but just for me, go to a dealership and test out the 2011 journey, you will be blown away by the quality and 8.4N touchscreen. heck test drive the 2011 charger, any 2011 car, you'll fall in love.

I'M SORRY CHRYSLER, BUT BECAUSE OF THESE LAST 10 YEARS OF POOR CARS, IT'S HARD TO MAKE PEOPLE CONVERT BACK WHEN THE 2011'S ARE ALL REFINED AND ARE LOADS CHEAPER THAN ANY COMPETITOR OUT THERE. i don't blame you though, i blame the last 10 years of chrysler. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't be blown away by the 2011 journey. just for me man, test drive that thing so i can get my point across. the sound deadening, the price, the power, the features(most standard) the smoothness yet firmness of the suspension, it blew me away. I hate to see people leave mopar, but the 2011 is totally changed for chrysler, I know you would love the 2011. you can get so many more features than the edge with such less money.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's so hard to convince people, I can't express what chrysler has done in 2011, probably the biggest automotive turnaround in history. I could write a 5 page essay on how the 2011 would blow you away, but i feel i don't need to do that when you can test drive it and you will know what I mean.

remember people, this was the company that was in bankruptcy and was about to die. look at the cars they're putting out now, it's amazing. I hope you read this post man, just test drive the 2011 so I know you know what chrysler has done in 2011. just mind boggling insane and crazyy.

IT'S CRAZY, WHAT THEY'VE CHANGED.

I can agree with Mango. These new 2011's are a whole new class from the old Journey's. The Pentastar is amazingly peppy, the interior is beautiful and very ergonomic even for my 6ft 4in body, it is very quiet, rides great, is spacious (again, I'm able to sit in second row comfortably, not third row tho unless I get whole third row to myself and sit sideways, lol), and so much more I love about our 2011. Wish I coulda afforded the upper model with 8.4N radio, but even still, this 4.3 is working great. So, just because of one bad experience, and especially basing your whole Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Fiat experience on a bad stealership experience, shouldn't turn you away from the whole line. For me, I hate Ford and will never buy one, but that's not based on one bad experience, its based on a multitude of mechanical problems I had with several Ford vehicles, I was repairing things left and right spending tons of money, therefore, lost faith in Ford. My first Dodge I bought, a 1994 Dodge Ram with the 5.2L, won me with big fireworks and flags, and every Dodge I've bought since has been nothing but great things with no issues. Anyways, I've heard about all the problems with the 09's and 10's, but seriously, the new 2011 is awesome and they should be recovering quite well from the previous years, with all their vehicles.

i'm sorry to hear, but i have to say, unfortunately you are on the dark side of things. Your little self could of got a loaded 2011 journey that's tons better than a ford edge. the 2011 is 20 years of 2009-10. TRUST ME, I HAD A 2010 JOURNEY SE 2.4, IT WAS a great car, did what i asked it, but quality and ride were not there. the 2011 is so quiet. look at all of dodge's 2011 lineup. i see that you bought the edge, that's great, but just for me, go to a dealership and test out the 2011 journey, you will be blown away by the quality and 8.4N touchscreen. heck test drive the 2011 charger, any 2011 car, you'll fall in love.

I'M SORRY CHRYSLER, BUT BECAUSE OF THESE LAST 10 YEARS OF POOR CARS, IT'S HARD TO MAKE PEOPLE CONVERT BACK WHEN THE 2011'S ARE ALL REFINED AND ARE LOADS CHEAPER THAN ANY COMPETITOR OUT THERE. i don't blame you though, i blame the last 10 years of chrysler. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't be blown away by the 2011 journey. just for me man, test drive that thing so i can get my point across. the sound deadening, the price, the power, the features(most standard) the smoothness yet firmness of the suspension, it blew me away. I hate to see people leave mopar, but the 2011 is totally changed for chrysler, I know you would love the 2011. you can get so many more features than the edge with such less money.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's so hard to convince people, I can't express what chrysler has done in 2011, probably the biggest automotive turnaround in history. I could write a 5 page essay on how the 2011 would blow you away, but i feel i don't need to do that when you can test drive it and you will know what I mean.

remember people, this was the company that was in bankruptcy and was about to die. look at the cars they're putting out now, it's amazing. I hope you read this post man, just test drive the 2011 so I know you know what chrysler has done in 2011. just mind boggling insane and crazyy.

IT'S CRAZY, WHAT THEY'VE CHANGED.

I couldn't have said it better! There is just no way to explain how cool the car is, it explains it for itself! I think Dodge really out did themselves with their whole new line of 2011 vehicles! I have to say though that 1 bad experience with a dealer or even brand of car can really ruin it for you...it happened to me with my Toyota Camry. I will say that before you knock the new Dodge line up you need to at least test drive one, or several! LOL Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but seriously the new Journey kicks butt!! We even drove a 2010 Ford Edge before buying the 2011 Journey and the Journey has way more features and just over all look and comfort miles beyond the Edge did....especially for the price of the Journey you just can't beat what you get! =)

I totally feel for that guy that bailed on his '09 Journey. I had the same experience with my '07 Mazda 5 that I traded in for my 2011 Journey, and I'm hoping (please God) that my experience with my Journey is a good one. After 4 years with that crap Mazda, I need a good reliable car.

It's a bummer when a car gives you that many problems. I hope he likes his Edge more. I think he will. My boss has one, and it's been a really good car for him.

I was looking at the Edge and Journey. The Ford Edge equipped the same as the Journey Lux cost a whole lot more and I couldn't be happier with the 2011 Journey. Having said that, I only have 900 miles on the Journey. I will wait to make a judgement when it hits 30,000 miles. Any car looks and feels good with 900 miles on it.

My wife and I do a lot of test driving just for fun. We drove a 2010, and was very disappointed.The ride was rough, and every time she braked I would slide forward in the seat. We were not impressed. Then we took a 2011 out. This was not a Journey. the vehicle drove like a dream. Quiet, a very refined ride,and an interior matching an upclass car.( Owned a Buick Enclave CXL).

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT WE LIKED IT SO MUCH THAT WE BOUGHT ONE.

Edited by Bradley

My wife and I do a lot of test driving just for fun. We drove a 2010, and was very disappointed.The ride was rough, and every time she braked I would slide forward in the seat. We were not impressed. Then we took a 2011 out. This was not a Journey. the vehicle drove like a dream. Quiet, a very refined ride,and an interior matching an upclass car.( Owned a Buick Enclave CXL).

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT WE LIKED IT SO MUCH THAT WE BOUGHT ONE.

what did i say, the 2011 is not a 2011, it's 2030 journey that traveled into the past and now we get to experience these great machines at a killer price and also get performance and technology all in one package.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I do a lot of test driving just for fun. We drove a 2010, and was very disappointed.The ride was rough, and every time she braked I would slide forward in the seat. We were not impressed. Then we took a 2011 out. This was not a Journey. the vehicle drove like a dream. Quiet, a very refined ride,and an interior matching an upclass car.( Owned a Buick Enclave CXL). THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT WE LIKED IT SO MUCH THAT WE BOUGHT ONE.

It's really too bad that you had such a bad experience with a 2010. I myself am very happy with my 2010 R/T. I have not driven a 2011 so I can't compare the 2. I know main mango describes a 2011 as much better than a 2010, as far as my car is concerned I would be very surprised a 2011 could be that much better. I am not saying he is wrong by any means just curious that"s all.

Terry

New owner of a 2011 Journey Mainstreet, 3/31/11 build, purchased on July 4th weekend. Took it on a weekend getaway with the wife and baby (about 500 miles roundtrip) and it performed flawlessly.

I've been showing it off to friends; most of them hadn't heard of it before, but they are impressed, as am I.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with the first post every one keeps saying should have bought the 2011 but since it wasnt out in 2008 when we bought our trash of a 2009 that doesnt help and with the bad service by 3 different dealers there is no way i'd buy another just wish i could fix the wiring problems long enough to trade it in. having the dealership put 4 batteries installed in under 1 yr with 57k miles on any car is nuts and the dealership saying there is no wiring problems with it