TPMS tire valve issue

WREED6223

I recently had to replace my 2nd and 3rd TPMS valve stem assembly. Unfortunately the car is no longer under warranty so I had standard valve stems installed seen as I have to buy new tires in the next few months. The first two, the outside screw on aluminum housing split length wise. The other one, the portion where the valve cap screws on, had broken off just below the cap. The yellow warning lite is on, but who cares.

The tire dealer could not unscrew the outside piece. Mainly due to it being corroded onto the long stem that goes to the sensor inside the tire. If I'd have know about the problem I'd be facing, I would have applied anti-seize to the whole assembly along time ago.

I'm looking for a replacement that won't corrode so badly and is a lot cheaper than what Dodge parts wants me to pay($72 ea). Found one online for $45 ea., but now sure if it's compatible with the Dodge TPMS. If the federal government wants to mandate we have this system they should make sure it doesn't rot off in 2 years or 37K miles. One less option I want on the next car.

Wild Bill

I think Dodge is addressing this (or so I hope). I just had my tires changed and you guessed it, one of the valve stems was corroded. The tire guy said he couldn't order a new one from Dodge because they are all off the shelves for the time being. My guess is that they are trying to rethink the metal they use. Either way I hope they fix the problem. When I bought the car(certified used) it had a bad valve stem so they replaced it. Then another one went. Then a third. Hopefully this is the last one for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Alligator Beru is the secondary market. They are plastic. Schrader provided the caps are aluminum. Some of the green hats are made of steel with a coating of aluminum. It is important that the steel does not come into contact with the aluminum rods. The new cores are nickel plated to prevent touching the form of brass.

• 3 months later...

I recently had to replace my 2nd and 3rd TPMS valve stem assembly. Unfortunately the car is no longer under warranty so I had standard valve stems installed seen as I have to buy new tires in the next few months. The first two, the outside screw on aluminum housing split length wise. The other one, the portion where the valve cap screws on, had broken off just below the cap. The yellow warning lite is on, but who cares.

The tire dealer could not unscrew the outside piece. Mainly due to it being corroded onto the long stem that goes to the sensor inside the tire. If I'd have know about the problem I'd be facing, I would have applied anti-seize to the whole assembly along time ago.

I'm looking for a replacement that won't corrode so badly and is a lot cheaper than what Dodge parts wants me to pay($72 ea). Found one online for $45 ea., but now sure if it's compatible with the Dodge TPMS. If the federal government wants to mandate we have this system they should make sure it doesn't rot off in 2 years or 37K miles. One less option I want on the next car.

Wild Bill

I found the valves at TMPS Wholsalers. $34 ea. They are Schrader and have plastic nuts so they won't corrode and split. recognized by the car after being installed by my tire man.

Wild Bill

• 2 months later...

I have a 2009 RT and I have had to replace two of the valve stems in the past 4 months. Both times the valve stem has broken off in the same spot. The first time the tire dealer said I must have hit something on the road, but I did not think so because there were no scratches or damage to the hub cap. When it happened the second time, I was washing my care and was drying of the hub cap with a towel and wiped the towel across the valve stem and it just snapped off. It cost about 55 bucks to replace so I am thinking about just letting the yellow light glow, both times the tire has gong flat I did not need the yellow light to tell what had just happen, I know the tire went flat. I do not need a yellow light to tell me that the tire is flat, I needed it to tell me that the valve stem was cracked and just about ready to blow out on me, but it did not, so I do not see the value in having it. I wish dodge or whoever would make some TPMS valve stems made out of rubber available for us. I will put a new valve back in, but if any of the new one's break again, I will not be replacing them.

Edited by dfonzseau

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have searched around for a set of tpms for my journey as I would like to have them on my winter rim. I ordered a set from rock auto and paid about 27 Canadian per tpms + shipping. I have not had a chance to see if they work as here in Edmonton it's still around 24 celcius here. But I am sure by mid oct it will change

• 2 years later...

This is clearly a design problem on the part of Chrysler. I have had the same thing happen on my 2009 Journey twice now. The vehicle has less than 30,000 miles. Does anyone know if Chrysler is aware of this chronic problem?

They have to be aware because the fixed the problem in the later models. I advised the dealer this and they said the best they could do is give me a discount. so I think it was $8 off.

Edited by mikeymouse