Mopar hitch is only good for 2000 lbs

Spotty

I bought my journey r/t with the tow prep group to tow my ski boat which is over 3000 lbs, because you are not able to get the hitch factory installed my dealer sold me the Mopar receiver which is rated for the 3500 lb towing and when I looked at my ball mount adapter it was stamped 2000 lb max. When the hitch was installed my bumper was cut to accomodate the install. Neither my dealer nor myself knew or that Mopar does not have a 3500 lb adapter to fit this hitch nor have we been able to find an aftermarket adapter with a 3500 lb rating. Mopar has sent this problem to their engineering department and I also called customer service at Dodge since they are the ones pushing Mopar accessories and they have logged my complaint but rep also pretty much told me I am on my own because I chose to have this hitch installed. Luckily my dealership where I purchased the vehicle is standing behind me and will come good for a replacement bumper and new aftermarket hitch if Mopar doesn't get this huge problem fixed.That is amazing customer service which Dodge and Mopar could learn something from. I am looking to hear from anyone that has/is experiencing the same problem and what have you done?

• 6 months later...

Just had the Mopar hitch installed, had to buy the tow bar that cost me $40.00 but then I still have issues, I need a tow bar that is to the top of it 12" - 13" from the ground. That's where it gets interesting, it it weren't for Princess Auto I'd be SOL. Every hitch out there is the type that goes in vertically not horizontally. Try and get parts for this hitch is very hard at the best of times. I've had to jerry rig an adaptor to make it work. Thanks Mopar for having such a granitic hitch.

I did get my hitch problem fixed. Valley hitch (which apparently makes the mopar hitch) It is only available in the USA, because I live in Ontario, Canada it was special ordered thru Carquest in Bancroft, Ontario. I decided to go with the adapter that still needs the normal straight out adapter, I tow different ball sizes so this solves changing balls on adapter and I can buy this other adapter now anywhere.

Just had the Mopar hitch installed, had to buy the tow bar that cost me $40.00 but then I still have issues, I need a tow bar that is to the top of it 12" - 13" from the ground. That's where it gets interesting, it it weren't for Princess Auto I'd be SOL. Every hitch out there is the type that goes in vertically not horizontally. Try and get parts for this hitch is very hard at the best of times. I've had to jerry rig an adaptor to make it work. Thanks Mopar for having such a granitic hitch.

• 3 weeks later...

For these reasons I have installed a class 2 hitch from Curt. The hitch and the receiver are both rated for 3500lbs towing and 350lbs of tongue weight. The curt hitch is a direct bolt on using factory holes in the frame and requires no cutting out of the rear bumper.