2009 Journey SXT Rusting!

MartianKing

Hi everyone. I have a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT that I bought new in January 2009. My wife pointed out to me the other day that my paint is bubbling up on the front passenger side corner of the hood. I couldn't believe my eyes when, sur enough, the paint is bubbling up. It's about a quarter size area. I live in MN, and even though we have snow and salt on roads, there's no way rust should be forming on my car yet. I've owned numerous cars, and none have had rust forming this early on. Has anyone else heard of this problem coming on so soon before on theirs or someone elses Journey?

front passenger side corner of the hood.

Corner of the hood ?? must be the end of the fender near the headlight because the hood itself can't rust : it's made of aluminum.

Corrosion ? paint too thin on that spot ? well check with your dealer and in your car manual that kind of thing must be under warranty.

• 1 year later...

Actually, what I found out was that the hood is comprised of two pieces of stamped aluminum. There is a seal that runs along the front bottom of the hood. If the seal is not solid, water gets under the paint and causes it to bubble up, looking like surface rust. I brought my Black Journey SXT in to the dealer. They took photos of the problem and forwarded it to Chrysler, who authorized the dealer to sand down the bubbles, reseal the seam, and repaint the areas free of charge, since it was still under basic warranty. Took 1 day.