Grab handles loose parts came off-2017 Dodge Journey

Suckered Buyer

My grab handles in the front became loose. When I tried to tighten them down they wouldn't tighten. I remove them and I noticed that the screw holes were offline and the nut insert had slipped inside the headliner on basically all four holes driver and passenger side. I remove part of the door trim and pull down on the headliner and I can see the airbag and the mounting bracket. Attached to the mounting bracket which is white plastic I find on each side to metal brackets that have the insert nut in them that slip into the white mounting bracket which basically fell out of the headliner into my hands in the door along with numerous screws.

The metal brackets look like they're installed first and then maybe the white mounting bracket then they put the headliner on and then of course the handles. Alternatively it might be that the metal brackets and white mounting bracket are screwed with one screw in the front and back of each handle to the body of the vehicle overhead and then the headliners put on and then you put the handle on. Either way the screws had vibrated loose over time and the handles became loose because the screws vibrated loose and all the parts ended up laying in the bottom of the headliner with the exception of the white bracket which stays in place until you remove the handles themselves. For whatever reason the handle never pulled on the headline there but it was not attached to the body of the vehicle anymore just the inside white bracket. The wire harness that is held to the bracket with a little hole that has a snap in holder of some kind is the only thing holding that bracket up at all from falling all the way into the base of the headliner over the door.Pull hard enough and I imagine you will pull part of the headliner towards you as you pull on me grab handle.

I can't understand how there is nobody that has had this problem I cannot find anything on the internet with this problem. The vehicle was making a horrible rattling noise that was going down into the dash and we finally figured out if we mess with the loose grab handle driver side it stopped making the noise and it's because all the parts for the handle are laying up in there rattling around in between the airbag and the headliner. This is the case for both sides.  

I myself am trying to figure out how to put everything back together since I don't want to rip down the headliner and I need to hold that up there and screw it back in and then tighten it and make sure then I can attach the handle securely but it doesn't look like besides cutting into the headliner to access the screw holes they would normally be screwed into that I'll be able to mount the bracket securely.

I did have to be careful of the airbag but you can do it just don't be grilling into anything it's all supposed to go where it's supposed to go.

Does anybody know how to put this bracket and secure it down how it's supposed to be secured down before putting the handles on? I'd like not to remove the headliner but I think I'm going to forget about these stupid grab handles if I have to rip that whole thing down I'll just find some kind of insert to plug the four holes in the headliner. Any help would be appreciated. 

20221226_123217.jpg

20221226_122621.jpg

20221226_122638.jpg

have never heard of this problem,,, some have asked how to add the grip handles,, best advise i can give is take it in and let thoes that work on this stuff fix it,you might find a headliner/upholster that could do it as well, good luck and please report back on your fix