Drive shaft/ carrier bearing

Gordon15734

Good morning, I have a 2014 dodge journey RT all-wheel-drive. The center support bearing is bad and has no support where I can hear it banging against the car from underneath while driving. I have taken the shaft out and looking at it. I have to dismantle the shaft. I have the center support bearing and have called a few places and they are telling me I have to replace the whole shaft. Is this job possible without replacing the entire shaft? Any input would be great, anyone with experience with this I would like to hear from you. Thank you I appreciate it! 

Welcome to the site. There are a few postings on here about the driveshaft. People have often gone the part recycler route because of the high price. I wouldn’t drive with the way it is now; could pull shaft and drive without it. Has been done.

It’s listed and sold as a one piece shaft; like most awd style shafts on newer cars. Could look for an automotive machine shop or rebuilder that does axles differentials and transfer cases. They might be able to rebuild using the new carrier you have;  press apart and reassemble. Show them the shaft; there is probably a way to take them apart.

C915F38F-790B-410B-91DE-026196EA1E51.jpeg.c5b11b0f60c60ce32bbc31f873cb12b8.jpeg

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2014,journey,3.6l+v6,3300354,drivetrain,drive+shaft,2308

Thank you for the reply. I have the part and I have the shaft out. I’m just trying to find somebody to take it apart and reassemble it. I have a difficulty finding anyone wanting to take it on the drive shaft place I know local businesses use around my area, told me to replace the whole thing.