Please help, I really like this suv

Hi everyone. So I just picked up a 09 journey a few days ago and now I notice when I drive and try to engage the cruise control (pushing the lever down) the cruise light just cuts off and doesn't work. Also at the same time when I press the pedal to floor to pass someone it won't go into passing gear but after I drive a while and stop and turn the car off the cruise and passing gear both work after I start the car back up. Anyone know what I may be dealing with? Also on a side note, what's the correct way to check the trans fluid? I seen a video on YouTube that used the oil stick to check it and when I did that there was no trans fluid on it at all. So I added a half a quart, still didn't touch it. Added the rest of the quart and called it good but I'm suspecting it could still be low

well i have a 2014 and i also marked my oil dipstick according to the youtube video and then also checked my trans level and everything lined up according to the marks so I would imagine that is your problem that you are low on transfluid on your 09 model, that said you didnt mention how many miles you have on your journey so i would first start by having the fluid and filter changed of course if you are that low on fluid your transmission might possibly be damaged but that is the chance you are taking by not having it checked by the local dealership or transmission shop...have no idea on the cruise control working intermittently

48 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

well i have a 2014 and i also marked my oil dipstick according to the youtube video and then also checked my trans level and everything lined up according to the marks so I would imagine that is your problem that you are low on transfluid on your 09 model, that said you didnt mention how many miles you have on your journey so i would first start by having the fluid and filter changed of course if you are that low on fluid your transmission might possibly be damaged but that is the chance you are taking by not having it checked by the local dealership or transmission shop...have no idea on the cruise control working intermittently

Has 178,000 miles. Yea I think im

Pretty damn low because I added that quart and I checked it today and I still couldn't get it to touch on the oil dipstick. I wasn't sure if I was doing the dip stick right. I put it in and it stops but if you push a little harder it goes in deeper, not sure what the correct position is

58 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

I guess I'll be picking up some fluid and a filter. The job is too easy to take to a dealership to do. On a side note, I think the cruise stops working intermittently because of the trans fluid. It's just a hunch but I notice when the cruise don't work I'm running about 2500 rpm's doing 60 mph. Then when it starts working right it's running 2,000 at 60. I think the fluid is a little low and it takes some driving around to get it lubricated enough to operate correctly 

4 hours ago, squirrel30668 said:

Has 178,000 miles. Yea I think im

Pretty damn low because I added that quart and I checked it today and I still couldn't get it to touch on the oil dipstick. I wasn't sure if I was doing the dip stick right. I put it in and it stops but if you push a little harder it goes in deeper, not sure what the correct position is

you can buy a correct aftermarket dip stick if your not sure