The steering wheel locked on my Dodge Journey and although the key would turn in the lock, the car would not start. The local mechanic thinks the problem is with the key, but to be sure he needs a second key which unfortunately I do not have. My question is - if I can locate a Dodge dealer (not easy here in Portugal) will they need access to the car to provide me with a second key?

Welcome to the site. Some keys have a security code. I’m assuming your mechanic thinks the code is no longer getting picked up by ignition and ecm computer in car. So fuel pump or power to spark plugs etc don’t work.

Is car turning over and trying to start, is there a click noise from starter, can you hear fuel pump at back of car cycle on and pressurize system.? Has he jumpered 85/87 starter relay contacts to prove starter will spin, this bypasses all safety interlocks on car.

New keys would be programmed to sinc with car security system which is linked and sometimes integrated into cars main computer or ecm.  Physical match of mechanical key and cutting blank is easy. Sometimes there are aftermarket shops who can program new key blanks; but car would need to be there to plug into car electrical system, as far as I know. Not easy to bypass modern key security systems.

Edited by John/Horace