Dodge Journey Transmission Shudder

JHJourney

Hello, 

I have a 2018 AWD Journey with almost 31,000 miles and this is the first Journey I have ever owned. I love the vehicle as it fits me exactly for what I was looking for. I am the second owner and have owned it for almost two years. I have recently started  paying attention to how the transmission shifts through the gears. I have observed that the first time the transmission starts shifting through all the gears after taking off from a cold start (after having let the engine and tranny warm up for a few minutes before beginning to drive), I have noted a “shudder” as the transmission shifts from first into second gear. This only happens during the first run through of the gears after a cold start, and after that then I never feel or notice it again the whole rest of the time I drive. It shifts flawlessly after the first initial run through of the gears without another shudder the rest of the time I drive. I am still getting to know the feel of Dodge as far as what is normal operation/function for their vehicles and such. This is again the first Doge Journey I have ever owned. Can any of my fellow Journey owners tell me if this is a normal functioning of the AWD transmissions in the Journey? Has anyone else noticed this in theirs? In honesty, the car has probably always done this and I just never paid attention or noticed it before until now lol. Thanks in advance! 

Edited by JHJourney

Hi.  I feel my 2011 do this sometimes.  I've owned it since new.  It definitely shudders when backing up a hill.  My understanding is that behavior is common.  Mine will also give a shudder at lower neighborhood speeds sometimes.   I feel like that is more related to the computer trying to decide which gear to be in rather than a transmission issue.  Anyway,  that's my 2 cents...  Not sure if any of that relates to what you're feeling.  I wouldn't worry until you're certain that you have a real issue.  Then do something. 

Peace.

7 hours ago, Locosiete said:

That is not normal. 

When it shudders do the RPMs fluctuate? Would you describe as s small wiggle or more like a hard bucking. Point is it may not be the transmission. Do you have a check engine light on?

Have you checked the air filter since you've owned it?

It could be allot of things from a 10 part to a new transmission. Although since it only does it once when cold probably nothing that catastrophic.

Nope, there is no check engine lights nothing at all. The shudder is one that is as if the car is trying to decide which gear to go into. It only does it once and then never again the whole rest of the time I drive. Just does it when it winds through from first into second gear for the first time after being started. I don’t have a lead foot taking off from a stop or while driving, so the RPMs don’t raise over probably 2300 when winding through the gears. 

Edited by JHJourney

2 hours ago, Redtomatoman123 said:

Hi.  I feel my 2011 do this sometimes.  I've owned it since new.  It definitely shudders when backing up a hill.  My understanding is that behavior is common.  Mine will also give a shudder at lower neighborhood speeds sometimes.   I feel like that is more related to the computer trying to decide which gear to be in rather than a transmission issue.  Anyway,  that's my 2 cents...  Not sure if any of that relates to what you're feeling.  I wouldn't worry until you're certain that you have a real issue.  Then do something. 

Peace.

Mine only does it when starting to wind through the gears for the first time when starting out from a cold start and only does it when it shifts from first into second and then never does it again the whole time I drive. I usually let my engine and transmission warm up for a few minutes before I start driving. I also don’t have a lead foot taking off from a stop or while driving, so my RPMs don’t normally go above 1500-2000 when it winds through the gears. The transmission is strong and doesn’t hesitate as is very responsive when driving. I too feel like it’s the computer trying to decide what gear to go into, but it’s kind of unnerving when you feel it lol. It does my give me any trouble. A family member had a 2006 Pacifica and they said theirs did the same thing off and on, so I’m attributing it to it’s just the nature of the beast I guess lol. I have it serviced regularly, so I definitely keep up the maintenance on it. 

14 minutes ago, Locosiete said:

As weird as this may sound maybe be a little more aggressive for the first shift of the day.

Also i believe there is a update dealership can do that is supposed to change shift points that may clear that up.

I believe I will try that and see what happens. I’m thinking it’s just where the trans fluid hasn’t circulated through all the way before I start driving. I usually let it warm up some before I start out as I never just start and drop in gear especially when it’s starting out from a cold start. Also, how do I find out if there is an update? Are you talking about a software update they do for the computer or something of that nature? I had never heard of something like that before. 

Edited by JHJourney

How many miles on it when you bought it and do you know the first owner? Some people pour in additives like LubeGard and Slick 50 thinking they are doing good. Wouldn't be a bad idea to do a few drain and fills or flush it. ATF+4 is cheap(ish). Isn't the powertrain warranty five years? Let it set overnight at the dealership, ride with the tech in the morning and point it out. Having it documented may get you some consideration if it goes kaput after the warranty is up.