09 journey fuel pump hold pressure?

Jrp79

Been chasing a intimate extended start problem.. Well I made an adapter to fit my fuel rail so i can test fuel pressure..i took a video of the gauge and im going to try to post it.. Some times the key has to turn twice to hit 60psi but will immediately drop to 0.. Starting will climb to 60psi and stay at 60 while running and drop to 58psi when hit the gas but go right back to 60psi but when i shut the car off it will again immediately drop to 0psi. Is this normal or should it hold pressure?

20210304_164212(1)(1).mp4

Hopefully someone else with answer your question as well.  It’s the fpr, fuel pressure regulator that creates pressure in system, not the fuel pump. Some fpr are on fuel rail with a vacuum supply line; other like the 3.6 Journey I believe are integrated into fuel pump itself. Pretty sure 3.5 is on rail which is easier to test.

I don’t think you should never see zero like you are. Pressure with key on/off should hold for around 5 mins then slowly drop, but still have significant pressure after 15 mins approx.  The following link is lengthy read, but explains how to test if leaky injector, fpr or bad pump. Best write up I’ve seem, so many different systems out there. If you are going to pinch rubber lines, use a rag etc to protect from vice grips. Fire extinguisher around when working on gas always a good idea.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-to-Test-a-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator

The regulator,filter and pump is all in the fuel pump module on mine.. Hasnt started hard since i hooked the gauge up even though the pressure drops to 0 but i still got it hooked up and peaking out of the hood so i keep an eye on it.. 

The 60ish psi number is close to spec from what I have read. Black smoke after hard starts they say is often sign of a leaky fuel injector.  Diagnosing is a lot better than parts throwing. But very time consuming.

That link has stupid amounts of fuel injection info.

Edited by John/Horace

The in tank filters are pretty much life time I have read,  but plugging up is always possible.

New pump sending unit would come with new filter. Fpr fuel pressure regulator on pump could be failing in tank.

That link will explain how to test for that. Probably clamping return line under hood when pressurized and seeing no drop in pressure. Injectors upstream not leaking if it holds ...problem probably downstream in tank by process of elimination.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2009,journey,2.4l+l4,1444145,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump+&+housing+assembly,10147