2012 dodge journey back hatch wiring issues

I have had weird issues with the electrical items on my journey. First the back up camera stop working . Than the break lights on the hatch stop working. Did some research and found out that the wiring from the body to the hatch has been know to fray from opening and closing the back. I cut open the rubber cover and sure enough there were 4 wires broken completely and several just frayed. I blacked tape the fray ones and reconnected the broken ones. Lights work now but camera is still flaky.  The wires seem cheap and way to short for ther job. Will not be buying another dodge. I have only bought dodge and chrysler for many years.

20201222_154732(0).jpg

2 hours ago, Jerrycoleman said:

I have had weird issues with the electrical items on my journey. First the back up camera stop working . Than the break lights on the hatch stop working. Did some research and found out that the wiring from the body to the hatch has been know to fray from opening and closing the back. I cut open the rubber cover and sure enough there were 4 wires broken completely and several just frayed. I blacked tape the fray ones and reconnected the broken ones. Lights work now but camera is still flaky.  The wires seem cheap and way to short for ther job. 

20201222_154732(0).jpg

Edited by Jerrycoleman

either splice new wire onto the old ones, or you buy a new wire loom from the dealership, yes  this is a common problem on the journeys and of course yours is 8-9 yrs old but yes they did cheap out on the quality but all manufacture do it trying to make the lowest price vehicle with the most profit they can make, the old saying you get what you pay for is true in some respects

my back up cam has been acting up for the last yr well it finally quit working couple of weeks ago,so i just put the daughters wrangler in the dealership for some power train warranty(inner seal on the front axle) 4 by 4  she has 51600 on the clock so 60 k was the end of the warranty. so when i pick it up, ill drop the journey off since i have the mopar max warranty so it will only cost me my ded ( went with the $100)....ALL car manufactures have their own set of recurring problems....