Front Strut Disassembly ( Top Nut Issue )

So after FINALLY getting my sway bar end links removed I was able to remove the struts. Now I have another problem. I can't get the top nut off to disassemble the strut and reuse the parts for the new piston. The top nut is an 18mm with what I think is an 8mm ( haven't actually put a socket on it yet ) hex on the top of the shaft to prevent the rod from spinning. My issue is that the top mounting plate doesn't allow me to get a wrench on the nut, and using a deep well socket to get on it doesn't allow me to put a socket on the head to stop it from spinning. Is there a special tool needed for this, or am I just missing something obvious. Google just pops up some basic how to videos when I ask it about this. Kinda on a time crunch this time so a fast response would be very appreciated.

I was able to get it off. Felt unsafe doing it but I saw a tip to compress the coil just enough to stop it from flying off but keep pressure on the top plate. This kept enough pressure on it to help stop the shaft from spinning and allowed me to brute force the thing off with the impact. I did have to put the 12inch channel locks on the shaft still but in the end it worked. Now for the new one obviously putting channel locks on the shaft is bad ju ju. So what I did to install the nut was put just a socket over the nut, grabbed that with the channel locks, and used the allen wrench to tighten it. Thing to know is that you don't want to just turn the shaft. That can ruin the seals. So I let the whole assembly turn as I tightened it. Took some time, and I'd say my hand strength was tested, but I got it.

2 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Glad you found a way. Curious what brand of piston/shock did you use as replacement? We’re old units original?

Harbour Freight brand strut compressor or better brand?

To the best of my knowledge the old ones were original to the vehicle. I replaced them with KYB's. I wasn't exactly given options from the parts store nor do I have the knowledge about the brands to say whether or not it was a good buy.

The strut spring compressor was a loaner from the store. It was a McPherson ( probably spelled that wrong ) set. It was a pretty simple setup. Essentially just 2 "hooks" connected with a heavy bolt.

The new units were a 100% match to the originals and are definitely doing their job.