Shaking at higher rates of speed

karyn1582

I have had my 2009 Dodge Journey in the shop now 3 times and am bringing it in today for the FOURTH time for the SAME problem!! It seems to only happen when I hit 60mph and higher. My whole car shakes, I can feel the vibrations in my seat, in the gas pedal... everywhere. As soon as I take my foot of the gas the shaking stops, but as soon as I put it on again it starts again. I find sometimes if i step on the gas it will resolve itself but other times not so much. The check engine light comes on but everytime i take it into the dealer it does not register the light ever going off. I am at my WHITS end!!! The replaced something in the fuel injector vlaves and exhaust valves with no help. The last time the balanced my tires to take care of the problem. Yea, that didnt help!! Any light to shed on this subject will be VERY helpful!!!

I haven't encountered any such problem but perhaps someone else here has.

In the meantime, the only thing I'd ask if you've taken it up to speed to the point of vibration and then popped into neutral - does the vibration immediately disappear or does it gradually subside as the car coasts below 60 MPH? This would at least isolate it to drivetrain or engine related. My guess would be something in the drivetrain. Obviously not wheels, since they have been balanced, but maybe a driveshaft or warped rotor?

I don't think its a rotor, you would feel that either all the time or when you hit the brakes not just when you are on the gas. Right when you see the engine light come on try to take it to Autozone, they will scan the car for free

Sounds more like a drivetrain issue, what you are describing is commonly called "shudder" and that could be from the torque converter or something with the internals of the transmission

I am FINALLY getting my car fixed.... whether or not this will fix the problem remains to be seen. They said they are basically rebuilding the top of my engine and replacing cylinder heads.... seems pretty extensive for a car that is less than a year old! Wish me luck in hopes this fixes my problem!

I don't exactly see what would cause a vibration in the heads, that is where the valves and spark plugs are

I think there is something with electric valve timing beaucse there is electrical connections on the valve covers and there have been weird issues with cars like that but I hope this fixes your problem

First I heard dealers have been replacing pistons for ticking noises and now rebuilding the heads on a 1 year old car to stop a vibration, sometimes I wonder where they find these people that work on cars at dealerships, if you can call what they do work

TURBULENCE!!! The rear bumper of the Journey scoops up soooooo much wind. That causes the rear bumper to shake and shimmy, which could be causing your problem, in addition to contributing to poor fuel economy and reduced road stability and handling.

Get to someplace uncrowded, adjust your mirrors to angle down to your rear tires/mumper edges, drive at 65mph and glance at the mirrors; you will see the edges of the bumper flapiong like bird wings.

If you happen to see a Journey passing you SAFELY and briefly glance at their rear bumper if you estimate their speeg to be >65mph, you will see their shameful rear bumper flapping and flopping.

I found all of that out after having splash guards installed on my rear bumper by the dealer. Looks like our options are to lower the vehicle, mod the rear bumper, or do not drive >60mph...

Dodge should recall the Journeys and apply a rear-bumper solution!

Until then or otherwise we need to drive ,65mph.

I have had my 2009 Dodge Journey in the shop now 3 times and am bringing it in today for the FOURTH time for the SAME problem!! It seems to only happen when I hit 60mph and higher. My whole car shakes, I can feel the vibrations in my seat, in the gas pedal... everywhere. As soon as I take my foot of the gas the shaking stops, but as soon as I put it on again it starts again. I find sometimes if i step on the gas it will resolve itself but other times not so much. The check engine light comes on but everytime i take it into the dealer it does not register the light ever going off. I am at my WHITS end!!! The replaced something in the fuel injector vlaves and exhaust valves with no help. The last time the balanced my tires to take care of the problem. Yea, that didnt help!! Any light to shed on this subject will be VERY helpful!!!

TURBULENCE!!! The rear bumper of the Journey scoops up soooooo much wind. That causes the rear bumper to shake and shimmy, which could be causing your problem, in addition to contributing to poor fuel economy and reduced road stability and handling.

Get to someplace uncrowded, adjust your mirrors to angle down to your rear tires/mumper edges, drive at 65mph and glance at the mirrors; you will see the edges of the bumper flapiong like bird wings.

If you happen to see a Journey passing you SAFELY and briefly glance at their rear bumper if you estimate their speeg to be >65mph, you will see their shameful rear bumper flapping and flopping.

I found all of that out after having splash guards installed on my rear bumper by the dealer. Looks like our options are to lower the vehicle, mod the rear bumper, or do not drive >60mph...

Dodge should recall the Journeys and apply a rear-bumper solution!

Until then or otherwise we need to drive ,65mph.

If that's the case, then every Journey owner on the road would be complaining about road vibration from the rear. I've had mine up to 90 MPH without noticing any such thing. If my rear bumper is flapping then I'm not feeling it. Besides, the problem here sounds definitely front-end related and there's a correlation with a "Check Engine" light, so there's no way it could be simple turbulence.

I'm curious about your experience, though. You said you discovered this AFTER taking it to the dealer to have splash guards installed. Is there any chance the two are related e.g. they installed the splash guards but did not secure the bumper properly?

my 2009 journey makes the vibration also but the engine light does not come on. it feels like the front of the car is coming apart and the engine realy rattles started about 20000 has 35000 now nothing has been found have had it checked but nothing has been found also if we dont let idle for a minute or so when it is started and before it is put into gear it wont shift to over drive. you have to stop and shut it off then restart it then it will shift ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I am FINALLY getting my car fixed.... whether or not this will fix the problem remains to be seen. They said they are basically rebuilding the top of my engine and replacing cylinder heads.... seems pretty extensive for a car that is less than a year old! Wish me luck in hopes this fixes my problem!

Karyn,

Any word yet on whether this fixed your Journey? Ours has started doing the exact same thing, and not only at higheway speeds. The check engine light blinks while it is happening, and nothing has registered that the dealership can bring up on the computer. Last night on the highway the problem lasted for about 2 minutes before everything went back to normal. The reason we got a new vehicle was to not have problems like this!

Karyn,

Any word yet on whether this fixed your Journey? Ours has started doing the exact same thing, and not only at higheway speeds. The check engine light blinks while it is happening, and nothing has registered that the dealership can bring up on the computer. Last night on the highway the problem lasted for about 2 minutes before everything went back to normal. The reason we got a new vehicle was to not have problems like this!

Are you sure that's the check engine light and not the ESC light? The ESC light flashes whenever it kicks in - like when you're experiencing wheel slippage on wet pavement. It could be some bad sensor that is tricking the ESC system to kick in and that would explain vibration because ESC is trying to correct a problem that doesn't exist. That would also explain why no codes are thrown in the computer because, as far as the computer is concerned, everything is normal.

Just a theory...

Are you sure that's the check engine light and not the ESC light? The ESC light flashes whenever it kicks in - like when you're experiencing wheel slippage on wet pavement. It could be some bad sensor that is tricking the ESC system to kick in and that would explain vibration because ESC is trying to correct a problem that doesn't exist. That would also explain why no codes are thrown in the computer because, as far as the computer is concerned, everything is normal.

Just a theory...

It was clearly the little light that looks like an engine. First it made an audible bing, and then that light flashed about 20 consecutive times at one point. It cleared for a few seconds and then started again. It is also obvious that the engine is losing power during these episodes as I couldn't keep my speed up while it was happening. That could be pretty dangerous...

It was clearly the little light that looks like an engine. First it made an audible bing, and then that light flashed about 20 consecutive times at one point. It cleared for a few seconds and then started again. It is also obvious that the engine is losing power during these episodes as I couldn't keep my speed up while it was happening. That could be pretty dangerous...

Well, after having having all the cylinder heads replaced on my car........ the car is FINALLY driving the way it should be!!! Henry, my car did the exact same thing yours did and finally the last time i brought it in they recieved a bunch of codes from the computer!!! It has been three weeks and (knock on wood) I have not had any further problems!! :rolleyes:

Well, so much for my theory!

Hopefully your computer will throw some codes soon! I wish you all the best.

BTW, is there another Dodge dealer you could take your car to? I'm not saying your dealer is bad, but perhaps another dealer has seen the problem before and will know better how to diagnose it. I know a lot of people feel compelled to take their vehicles to the dealer they purchased from but that simply isn't necessary.

Well, so much for my theory!

Hopefully your computer will throw some codes soon! I wish you all the best.

BTW, is there another Dodge dealer you could take your car to? I'm not saying your dealer is bad, but perhaps another dealer has seen the problem before and will know better how to diagnose it. I know a lot of people feel compelled to take their vehicles to the dealer they purchased from but that simply isn't necessary.

We did actually change to a different dealership earlier this week after the first one took our complaints too lightly. All they did was sell us a brake job which was totally unrelated to this issue. They told us to "just bring it back if it happens again".

The dealership we are dealing with now performed one of the TSB's which relates to "engine performance" as their fist shot at a fix. Now that we know that didn't help, we are scheduled to take it back there Monday for further analysis. I am confident this dealership will do whatever is necessary to get this fixed, and I will make a copy of this discussion to show to them since Karyn's issue seems to be resolved.

I appreciate the help you all have given me!

• 3 weeks later...

Karyn1582, I have a 2010 Dodge Journey doing the same thing. My car is in the shop for the 4th time also. The 1st time (03/31/10) I was a mile from my house and it starting vibrating real bad and the engine light was blinking off and on - went to the dealership - they told me it was the powertrain module that needed to be updated. The next morning (about 20 min from my house) it did it again going up a HUGE bridge - brought it back to the dealer, they kept it over night this time. The excuse this time was that I possibly had water in my gas. I picked up the car, did a fuel treatment and on that Tuesday it did it so bad - I thought the engine was gonna bounce outta the bottom of the car - but this time the engine light stuck. Went back to the dealership. On Wednesday, they called me and told me that the computer in the car was bad. They were going to replace the computer and Chrysler told them to soak the valves to decarbonize them. I could pick it up Friday afternoon. They told me that it was running GREAT!!! Picked it up Friday - over the weekend, it shook a little - but the engine light never came on. On this past Monday - 1 mile from my house again (going about 55 mph again) it did it again. I went straight back to the dealership. That afternoon I was called and told that they were soaking the valves that day and they were gonna soak them again over night. On Tuesday evening they called me and told me that on Wednesday they were going to take off the valve covers and check the valves. Yesterday evening they called me and told me "sure enough - the valves are caked with carbon. There was so much carbon on them that they had to chisel it off. And there was 1/4" tearing off on one of the valves and they are having to send the head to a machine shop. I am told by my service in-take man that Chrysler is telling him that it is the quality of gas that I am using.... not that I am using the wrong gas, but that the gas makers are not putting enough detergents in the fuels.... BOLOGNA!!!!!! I have filed Lemon Law! Good luck with yours!

Was talking to a guy at work who had vibration at and above highway speeds. He took it in to the dealership and they swapped out the windshield cowl (plastic right below the wipers) for a new one. It was bulging out in the middle of the windshield, so when he hit a certain speed it would vibrate and cause a bad shake from the front end. Says all is perfect now. He has an '09 SXT.

I am told by my service in-take man that Chrysler is telling him that it is the quality of gas that I am using.... not that I am using the wrong gas, but that the gas makers are not putting enough detergents in the fuels.... BOLOGNA!!!!!!

If you go to a no-name station then you ARE taking a chance on the quality of gas. There can be a big difference in additives between brands. Government only mandates minimum requirements for pollution control not the quality.

Mine shakes as well, doing 120 I can feel the gas pedal, steering wheel, arm rest and seat all vibrating. Its not a massive shacking but just enough for me to worry about whats going to happen in the long run.

I went out side to look at my splash guards and the rear drivers side screws were coming off so I got my driver and started to screw them back in but to my amazement my rear bumper cover is as lose as hell.

The plastic rivets are all there its just really really loose. I can grab it and move it 3/16 either way around the rivets. I am going down to the dealership tomorrow to order some standard bling parts so I will ask them what they think.

Karyn1582, I have a 2010 Dodge Journey doing the same thing. My car is in the shop for the 4th time also. The 1st time (03/31/10) I was a mile from my house and it starting vibrating real bad and the engine light was blinking off and on - went to the dealership - they told me it was the powertrain module that needed to be updated. The next morning (about 20 min from my house) it did it again going up a HUGE bridge - brought it back to the dealer, they kept it over night this time. The excuse this time was that I possibly had water in my gas. I picked up the car, did a fuel treatment and on that Tuesday it did it so bad - I thought the engine was gonna bounce outta the bottom of the car - but this time the engine light stuck. Went back to the dealership. On Wednesday, they called me and told me that the computer in the car was bad. They were going to replace the computer and Chrysler told them to soak the valves to decarbonize them. I could pick it up Friday afternoon. They told me that it was running GREAT!!! Picked it up Friday - over the weekend, it shook a little - but the engine light never came on. On this past Monday - 1 mile from my house again (going about 55 mph again) it did it again. I went straight back to the dealership. That afternoon I was called and told that they were soaking the valves that day and they were gonna soak them again over night. On Tuesday evening they called me and told me that on Wednesday they were going to take off the valve covers and check the valves. Yesterday evening they called me and told me "sure enough - the valves are caked with carbon. There was so much carbon on them that they had to chisel it off. And there was 1/4" tearing off on one of the valves and they are having to send the head to a machine shop. I am told by my service in-take man that Chrysler is telling him that it is the quality of gas that I am using.... not that I am using the wrong gas, but that the gas makers are not putting enough detergents in the fuels.... BOLOGNA!!!!!! I have filed Lemon Law! Good luck with yours!

Our 2009 R/T with 50k is in the shop today for vibration also. This has been an ongoing issue for some time. We like the car but the vibration in the floor and at the wheel is annoying at high speeds and on long trips. Had the wheels balanced several times, Tranny checked etc all with out any problem found. The engine had ticking now on a cold start as well.

After reading this post today, I called the service rep and told hin about the carbon problems. He didn't sound surprised and told me they had a new Avenger in for the same issue. So finally they are going to take some time and hopefully fix it. It is a good thing we have the 100k warranty and if this keeps up yes we will probably not buy another Chrysler. As for gas we always go to brand name stations that are very busy. There should no bad gas at these stations.

TheStewie

My 2009 Journey started doing this last month. It did it approximately 5 times before I was able to get in into the dealer. They told me that there were no codes on the computer so there was nothing they could do about it. Their suggestion was water in the gas. Was the problem determined in your vehicle? My vehicle only has 14k miles on it and I would like it to be fixed before the warranty is up.

Any insight would be great for me to go back to my dealership with.

Thanks.

My 2009 Journey started doing this last month. It did it approximately 5 times before I was able to get in into the dealer. They told me that there were no codes on the computer so there was nothing they could do about it. Their suggestion was water in the gas. Was the problem determined in your vehicle? My vehicle only has 14k miles on it and I would like it to be fixed before the warranty is up.

Any insight would be great for me to go back to my dealership with.

Thanks.

I can't offer any insight - some of the other posts (here and in other threads) might be helpful, but I can't say that I notice any kind of consensus in them. What I CAN do is suggest you express your warranty concerns to your dealership and maybe even Chrysler corporate. Document all your attempts at getting the problem resolved to show that you made a good faith effort at solving it well within the warranty period. This way, if the problem doesn't get resolved in warranty and your vehicle finally does throw a code just outside the warranty period, you'll have a decent chance at getting it repaired at no expense.

It stinks that you have the problem but sometimes* you have to look at this from the perspective of the dealer. If there is no code and the car isn't acting up in their presence, it will be extremely hard for them to diagnose unless it is a known, widespread problem. Just be persistent and try to take it in as close to the event as possible. Information gathering is good, too, so relaying what others have experienced on this forum may be helpful. It might be just enough info to help them trigger a diagnosis.

*- note I say "sometimes". That's because the dealer can occasionally be a real prick about it and your best recourse is to take it to a different dealership, if possible.

I am a 2010 Journey that I bought in the US and recently shipped to Germany (in the Army) I got it up to 120 on the Autobahn going from Regensburg to Munich - about an hour and 15 minutes when going 120 :) - and I felt no vibrations or shakes. It was surprisingly smooth. Adding cold air intake system, some iridium spark plugs, voltage module, a performance chip and a fuel molecule module over the next month. Hoping to get better gas mileage. I as getting around 18 MPG at 120, which is very nice, but I want to see it around 25.

Will post pics when all parts are added. Also slapping on some brand new KMC Slide Blacks 18 inch rims and thinking about getting some lowering springs for it, along with smoking out the tail lights and doing a light tint on the front head lights.

Will be debadging it tomorrow and once all modifications are done will be putting some custom badges on it. This will be a one of a kind Journey that you will not see anywhere else ;)

Anyway, morale of the story, at 120 MPH, my car drove like a Benz, smooth.

I am a 2010 Journey that I bought in the US and recently shipped to Germany (in the Army) I got it up to 120 on the Autobahn going from Regensburg to Munich - about an hour and 15 minutes when going 120 :) - and I felt no vibrations or shakes. It was surprisingly smooth. Adding cold air intake system, some iridium spark plugs, voltage module, a performance chip and a fuel molecule module over the next month. Hoping to get better gas mileage. I as getting around 18 MPG at 120, which is very nice, but I want to see it around 25.

Will post pics when all parts are added. Also slapping on some brand new KMC Slide Blacks 18 inch rims and thinking about getting some lowering springs for it, along with smoking out the tail lights and doing a light tint on the front head lights.

Will be debadging it tomorrow and once all modifications are done will be putting some custom badges on it. This will be a one of a kind Journey that you will not see anywhere else ;)

Anyway, morale of the story, at 120 MPH, my car drove like a Benz, smooth.

Sweet.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem twice. I have a 2009 Journey. Both times it was due to tire and/or alignment issues. The first time I was told that the new tires used on the Journeys get "Flat" spots when the new vehicles were sitting waiting to be sold. I put new tires on and the shaking at 60mph went away. However, just recently, it started happening again. This time I was told that the "Cam Shaft" (something that holds the wheels straight) was actually worn and it was causing the tires to wear unevenly.. The fixed the cam and they replaced two of my tires at the dealer for free and the problem so far has been fixed.. about two months now.