• 4 weeks later...

Aside from Sirius XM (which contains the GPS Receiver)...

There might be more logistics involved after you install the  radio.

If you're buying a new 'plug-and-play' version, you shouldn't have issues, provided you follow the instructions the seller gives you.

If you're pulling one from a scrap yard, make sure that you get the VIN# of the donor car. maybe take some pictures of the car, it's VIN, and that it's in the scrap yard. Reason: sometimes when the radio is pulled from a donor, the radio will think it is stolen, and will need to be unlocked to work fully. This is a dealership process, and requires 'proof' you didn't steal the radio, and the VIN of the donor to unlock the radio functions. (Disclaimer, I could be totally wrong.)

1 hour ago, NavalLacrosse said:

Aside from Sirius XM (which contains the GPS Receiver)...

There might be more logistics involved after you install the  radio.

If you're buying a new 'plug-and-play' version, you shouldn't have issues, provided you follow the instructions the seller gives you.

If you're pulling one from a scrap yard, make sure that you get the VIN# of the donor car. maybe take some pictures of the car, it's VIN, and that it's in the scrap yard. Reason: sometimes when the radio is pulled from a donor, the radio will think it is stolen, and will need to be unlocked to work fully. This is a dealership process, and requires 'proof' you didn't steal the radio, and the VIN of the donor to unlock the radio functions. (Disclaimer, I could be totally wrong.)

I just did this upgrade myself. I went the junkyard route, it can save you money but it also can be a nightmare. If your going the junkyard route, like I did I would do like lacrosse said get the VIN and check it to see if it is even a RB5 radio. I know there's been people who've gotten what they though was an RB5 but turned out to be  RE2. As for installation if you already have Sirius XM your good to good because that's how the GPS signals go though, if not make sure you get the antenna. I was able to purchase a unlock code for my radio off a popular auction site, if you get my drift. I was also able to get the Sirius Travel and Traffic link to work thanks to infotainment. They offer a OBD genie that will program you car to show that your car is programmed to have it.I would recommend, if your going the junkyard route going to a reputable junkyard.

• 1 month later...