Assistance with 2012 Dodge Journey SE 2.4L Mass Air Flow Sensor

IvanG57

Hey everyone, this is my first post in the forum so I do apologize now if it isn’t perfect.

I noticed my 2102 Dodge Journey SE 2.4L was really hesitating when going up hills or up ramps to get on the highway.

It would hesitate and bog down around 1000 to 2000 RPMs.

I searched on this forum and google directed me to the Mass Air Flow sensor.

All the steps online seemed to be for a 3.6L and that the MAP was under the engine cover. (I wasn’t able to locate it under the cover).

I included some pictures of the engine cover, the air intake filter which needs to be replaced, it looks dirty, and the picture with the arrow; I believe is the intake air temperature sensor. I took that out and cleaned it with mass air flow sensor cleaner as it was pretty dirty.

I took it out for a test run up hills and up highway ramps and noticed a big improvement as it doesn’t hesitate as much as it did before.

There is still a bit of hesitation but maybe that will improve. Long story short, can I please get some assistance where I can find the MAP (Mass Air Flow Sensor) on my model of journey.

Thanks,

Capture.PNG

IMG_0186.JPEG

IMG_0188.JPEG

Just an update if anyone is interested and has further guidance.

After cleaning the MAP sensor, the check engine light appeared, traction control off icon, and a red lightning bolt displayed on the dash and it wouldn't go past 2K RPMs. I guess this is called limp mode.

I brought it to Midas where they scanned it and the code read P0108: Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure circuit high.

The mechanic told me they didn't have the equipment to pin point which part it was because, it could be a lot of things, he was unable to clear the error, and he pointed me in the direction of another mechanic with the right electrical tools.

The next mechanic isn't open until Monday, so I did a little research on the error. I took the above guidance reply with the MAP sensor and replaced it. I disconnected the battery and replaced the MAP sensor with a new one.

After the replacement I followed instructions online to clear the red lightning and check engine light. (Key in on position, slowly press the gas all the way down, slowly raise the gas up, turn off, and then start it up.

After this the check engine light and other lights were gone and it was running as normal.

So I took it out for a test drive. While I was driving in the city everything was smooth and I got it up to about 3K RPM's with no issues.

Now I went to test it on the highway. Everything was going good until I was uphill on the ramp and hit over 3K RPM's. Then it was back to all the sensors being on and the journey was back in Limp mode.

Any ideas?????