Anybody else w/piston issues?

MilleyMills

Initially we loved the journey. It rides smooth, roomy, and I loved it. My first problem was the sunglasses holder falling down over every speed bump. I had to have that replace twice. The cigarette lighter blew a fuse had that fixed twice. The locks were messing up going up and down up and down everytime I unlocked it. I had to take it in twice before the mechanics seen it.

My biggest issue is a ticking noise in the engine. I just got it out of the dealership for the fourth time. I drove five miles and yes the noise is back again. I have had the rocker shafts replaced twice. Then they replaced all six pistions. This took two in a half weeks. The dealership was sent rusted pistions and missing orings. I had to fight for two days to get a rental car for the whole time. I bought a new car to have a car not be stranded. After replacing the pistions it was back again. I took it in yesterday and they said they had to adjust the valvues. Ok now it is back again.

I was just curious if anybody else was having these issues. I have had the car less than nine months and am starting to get bummed. We have a 99 Dodge Ram and have always loved it. I was hoping for two for two on the Dodges.

Sounds to me like the dealer doesn't know what the heck is wrong and is just changing parts hoping that the problem goes away. Changing pistons in response to a ticking noise? That wouldn't be on my top ten list of possible causes when diagnosing the problem but hey, I can't really comment without having hands on access. It does sound quite odd, though. Any possibility you can take it to another dealer?

What have they done for yours so far?

I have an engine noise issue, not so evident once warmed up at idle, starting the motor cold it sounds like a marble metallic rattling or a engine tick (lifter noise), Have been told it is the intake, not so confident. Guess only see when it is back next week.

You hear it inside the car when you accelerate or let off the throttle and the motor is coming back down.

What have they done for yours so far?

Rockers on both banks. It took the tech a few days just to get an idea of what it could be. The ticking is very loud at the days frist start up(even on warm days). Then gets faint but not ever gone. I have a feeling its going to be the same story. mabe try a diff. part. Talk to dodge reps. even after the the long list of probs within the frist 5,000 miles i still love it.

First a disclaimer: I'm not any sort of technician (aka mechanic). All my engine knowledge comes from hot-roding cars back in the day.

That said, anyone who's worked on engines is going to suspect valve train when told of a "ticking" noise coming from the engine. On modern (meaning like last 40 years or so) engines, the noise is likely the result of a bad hydraulic tappet, commonly know as "lifters" or "lash adjusters". If the noise starts out bad but gets better after a while (usually within a matter of just a few seconds), it almost certainly is a tappet. Common recourse is to replace the faulty tappet (or all of them if it can't be identified) but many mechanics forget to ask the question "Why did it fail?" This most likely is a bad oil supply to the tappet. The oil supply to the tappet should be checked and cleaned when the tappet is being replaced.

While tappets are the overwhelmingly common cause for this, I've seen exhaust leaks cause a very similar phenomenon. I've seen and heard pinhole exhaust leaks that sound indistinguishable from a tappet. This symptom has a key difference - the sound does NOT get significantly better shortly after startup. It may eventually get better, but it takes a lot longer - like several minutes. The engine as a whole must get warmer and the expansion of metal is what reduces the size of the pinhole.

Some of the other things mentioned here, such as rocker arms & pistons (actually, it would be the wrist pins, not the pistons) could cause the problem. So could a myriad of other things including rod bearings or even engine accessories (which can be tested by simply removing the drive belt). However, those would be considered exotic in my mind - I'd jump straight to the tappets if it was my job to fix this engine.

BTW, there's no such thing as "adjusting valves" anymore. If someone mentions this, they are probably referring to just replacing the tappets (or just blowing hot air).

First a disclaimer: I'm not any sort of technician (aka mechanic). All my engine knowledge comes from hot-roding cars back in the day.

That said, anyone who's worked on engines is going to suspect valve train when told of a "ticking" noise coming from the engine. On modern (meaning like last 40 years or so) engines, the noise is likely the result of a bad hydraulic tappet, commonly know as "lifters" or "lash adjusters". If the noise starts out bad but gets better after a while (usually within a matter of just a few seconds), it almost certainly is a tappet. Common recourse is to replace the faulty tappet (or all of them if it can't be identified) but many mechanics forget to ask the question "Why did it fail?" This most likely is a bad oil supply to the tappet. The oil supply to the tappet should be checked and cleaned when the tappet is being replaced.

While tappets are the overwhelmingly common cause for this, I've seen exhaust leaks cause a very similar phenomenon. I've seen and heard pinhole exhaust leaks that sound indistinguishable from a tappet. This symptom has a key difference - the sound does NOT get significantly better shortly after startup. It may eventually get better, but it takes a lot longer - like several minutes. The engine as a whole must get warmer and the expansion of metal is what reduces the size of the pinhole.

Some of the other things mentioned here, such as rocker arms & pistons (actually, it would be the wrist pins, not the pistons) could cause the problem. So could a myriad of other things including rod bearings or even engine accessories (which can be tested by simply removing the drive belt). However, those would be considered exotic in my mind - I'd jump straight to the tappets if it was my job to fix this engine.

BTW, there's no such thing as "adjusting valves" anymore. If someone mentions this, they are probably referring to just replacing the tappets (or just blowing hot air).

There are Tech tips available to the techs regarding the issue. They are to attempt to play with the runner valve motors on the intake by loosening them and rotating them slighty to see if the noise gets better or worse. The tech when doing this to mine, says he heard a difference thus ordered the intake.

Rockers are not advised to be replaced, however there is a bulletin also out to the techs on wrist pins.

I have an engine noise issue, not so evident once warmed up at idle, starting the motor cold it sounds like a marble metallic rattling or a engine tick (lifter noise), Have been told it is the intake, not so confident. Guess only see when it is back next week.

You hear it inside the car when you accelerate or let off the throttle and the motor is coming back down.

That sounds very much like the one that I have. Its the loudest when I am excelling up hills. Good luck hope they get it fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

We had to have 2 pistons replaced at 20000km but for a very different reason. I experienced aggressive shaking and loss of power at high speeds intermittently. It took almost 3 weeks to work it out. The technician drove the vehicle for that time period with a computer attached to the vehicle. Although a frustrating experience, they treated me extremely well (Londonderry Dodge in Edmonton, Alberta). The car rental was not a problem at all and the staff was professional and courteous. We've had various other issues (replace power steering and transfer case) but have never had to fight for warranty coverage.

• 1 year later...

I couldn't agree more with your comment....I am a mechanic and I have seen these types of issues. I wonder if this lifter ticking issue is due to a poor casting causing a restricted oil gallery therefore lack of sufficient oil flow to lifters.. I have even mentioned this to the dealership but to be simply dismissed......We will see if they can fix mine....third time in with only 1500kms.