upgrading the GPS software

Has anyone updated their GPS maps on a 2011 Journey RB5 radio ? There are many sellers of maps for in dash vehicle radios for under $ 50.00 but they all say make sure your vehicle uses WinCE operating system. Anyone know what that is ? 

It can be done, but those ads you mention are not for your radio.  Search the web and you shall find what you need.

There are three different models of the radio.  Yours is the 'first' version.  So note that your radio requires different files and procedures than those of later ones (from 2013 and later models), which look the same, but if you tried to upgrade with the later firmware you would 'brick' your radio.

6 hours ago, bramfrank said:

It can be done, but those ads you mention are not for your radio.  Search the web and you shall find what you need.

There are three different models of the radio.  Yours is the 'first' version.  So note that your radio requires different files and procedures than those of later ones (from 2013 and later models), which look the same, but if you tried to upgrade with the later firmware you would 'brick' your radio.

bramfrank, I've been searching for about three weeks and can't find anything reasonable. On eBay the compatible vehicle lists for some upgrades show my 2011 Journey but in the auction it states "make sure your vehicle uses WinCE". Some of them have much more to offer than the HERE.com maps that Chrysler uses. Garmin also said any 2011 or 2012 Chrysler version would work in my Journey and the only difference is the colors on some items. That's why I'd like to know if anyone has upgraded to other than the map programs sold through FCA.

22 hours ago, Bill@073 said:

Has anyone updated their GPS maps on a 2011 Journey RB5 radio ? There are many sellers of maps for in dash vehicle radios for under $ 50.00 but they all say make sure your vehicle uses WinCE operating system. Anyone know what that is ? 

I really like the options offered by some of the map programs other than FCA developed by Here.com

Be careful with eBay's (and any else's) compatibility lists.

Your options are to buy an update from Here (who do the mapping for uConnect), or to research a way to do it yourself on your particular model radio (it is out there) - noting that the method shown on THIS site is for the 3rd generation radios in the 2013 and later Journeys and won't work with what you have - as mentioned trying to use the later procedure in the older model radios will result with you being the proud owner of a bad boat anchor.

Of course you can also go out and buy a 3rd gen navigation TGM (radio) which would work with the 'do it yourself' method that is the most supported upgrade method.

3 hours ago, bramfrank said:

Be careful with eBay's (and any else's) compatibility lists.

Your options are to buy an update from Here (who do the mapping for uConnect), or to research a way to do it yourself on your particular model radio (it is out there) - noting that the method shown on THIS site is for the 3rd generation radios in the 2013 and later Journeys and won't work with what you have - as mentioned trying to use the later procedure in the older model radios will result with you being the proud owner of a bad boat anchor.

Of course you can also go out and buy a 3rd gen navigation TGM (radio) which would work with the 'do it yourself' method that is the most supported upgrade method.

Thanks, I really appreciate the in put from your knowledge and experience. I posted on this forum, to get more information. It just doesn't seem right that FCA would charge so much for a navigation upgrade that some other automakers give out for free. You would think they would try to keep customers happy so they will return and buy a new vehicle from them. They wanted $ 200 to upgrade the VIN number to show a different radio, display and climate bezel. My neighbor got the anti theft code and they updated his VIN for free with another brand of vehicle.

24 minutes ago, bramfrank said:

Clearly you haven't dealt with automotive nav systems  much.  The manufacturers charge as much as FCA and more.

That may be true but HERE.com who authors the gps for Garmin and FCA has a current sale of $ 49 off any product they sell. So FCA must just pocket the extra while other automakers sell their software at the sale price. 

One as nothing to do with the other.

Here charges whatever they want, but the manufacturers may, or may not be included in whatever sale there may be.

And the update for your radio is not the same as that for a GM product, for example, so there is no competition.

Either pay the price, learn how to do it yourself or simply live with old maps.