Blind spot is rough!

kwirges

After having a Journey for about 3 weeks now, I can say that my only real complaint has to be the blindspot while changing lanes or backing out of parking spots. I have the rearview camera, but personally, I don't rely on that as much as visually checking things on my own.

After having a Journey for about 3 weeks now, I can say that my only real complaint has to be the blindspot while changing lanes or backing out of parking spots. I have the rearview camera, but personally, I don't rely on that as much as visually checking things on my own.

I have my Journey and do not find that problem. I have a Solara convertible which has a real blind spot. I guess I am able to use the mirror and feel confident.

Mike

Get a pair of stick-on blind spot mirrors. I wouldn't be without them.

• 3 weeks later...

Many people don't have their mirrors adjusted wide enough. Only when you lean a foot or so in the direction of the mirror should the vehicle be barely visible in the mirror.

When the mirrors are properly adjusted, the blind spots usually go away.

Many people don't have their mirrors adjusted wide enough. Only when you lean a foot or so in the direction of the mirror should the vehicle be barely visible in the mirror.

When the mirrors are properly adjusted, the blind spots usually go away.

Mmmmm, that would depend on what you mean by "properly adjusted". Having spent several years driving trucks, I want my mirrors set so that I can see along both sides of my vehicle. It's pretty hard (for me, anyway) to back into tight spots if I can't see how close I am on both sides. That's why I'm such a proponent of blind-spot mirrors.

How tight a spot are you backing into? Even adjusted as I suggest, you can see your vehicle in the mirror when you lean a bit towards that mirror.

I guess "properly adjusted" depends on whether you're trying to eliminate blind spots while driving, or need to squeeze into a space so tight you're going to have trouble opening a door to get out : )

• 1 month later...

MKARESH is right! You should adjust your mirrors so that:

1) The rearview (center) mirror shows what is directly behind you

2) The side mirrors show what is on the SIDE of you (not behind you)

I set mine by looking in the rearview mirror as a car starts to pass - when it's just about out of the view of the rearview/center mirror, I SHOULD be seeing the vehicle show up in my SIDE mirrors... Also, it should STAY visable in your side mirror until you can see it in your peripheral vision... (if you have normal PV that is)

If you need to 'adjust' them for backing up into tight spaces, do it right before you back up! Then change them again when you don't need to back up anymore...

Yes, it's different than driving a big rig - why? Because there's no REARVIEW MIRROR on a big truck - but that's also why they put those mirrors farther out than cars AND why most have blind spot mirrors as well...

But set those mirrors as above and get used to it... You will be happier and not scare as many folks when you change lanes without looking over your shoulder first (like you're supposed to do but most don't)...

Besides, this way you can see that cute chick's/guy's face better as they start to pass you... :)

While taking a defensive driver course for work recently I learned the "recommended" way to adjust your mirrors is, " To adjust your mirrors properly, put your head against the left side door glass, then adjust your left mirror OUT until you just barely can (or barely can not) see the side of your car. THEN, move your head to the center of your car and adjust your right mirror out until you can barely (or barely can not) see the side of your car. The goal is to set it up so that once a car leaves your REAR view mirror, it appears in your SIDE view mirror - and once it leaves your SIDE view mirror, it appears in your side window/peripheral vision. Unfortunately, some American cars don't let you adjust the mirrors out far enough to completely accomplish this." After many years of driving I don't think I could adjust to this "proper" setting. I adjust mine in my car or truck the same way indianrefining does & I'll continue to do so. Cliff

I'm with you DJAlan and mkaresh. What's the point of seeing the side of your own vehicle when you look in the mirror? You *know* that's there without looking :). When your three mirrors are adjusted properly, there's almost *no* blind spot. The compromise is when your rear-view mirror is blocked by cargo/trailer/rear-seat video screen. Then you have to adjust your mirrors in slightly to make up for the blocked rear-view.

I would challenge anyone to force themselves to adjust the mirrors as "recommended" for a month. I'd be willing to wager you'll never go back.

I'm with you DJAlan and mkaresh. What's the point of seeing the side of your own vehicle when you look in the mirror? You *know* that's there without looking :). When your three mirrors are adjusted properly, there's almost *no* blind spot. The compromise is when your rear-view mirror is blocked by cargo/trailer/rear-seat video screen. Then you have to adjust your mirrors in slightly to make up for the blocked rear-view.

I would challenge anyone to force themselves to adjust the mirrors as "recommended" for a month. I'd be willing to wager you'll never go back.

Convex mirrors.

On my work van, a 2007 Chev 3500 Savanna, I never shoulder check as I don't need to the mirrors do the work. If the rearview mirror (the one inside the car) is blocked, how can you see behind you unless you change the sideview mirrors? So the kids are watching a movie in back with the screen down, or you are carrying something in the back that blocks the view. An emergency vehicle is coming up behind you(not right behind you yet) and you CAN'T see it at all til you hear it behind you. Sorry to rant but I had it happen with the wife in the ambulance. Guy couldn't see behind him and we were stuck behind him.

With the mirror inside set to look behind you, the sideview mirrors adjust so you just barely see the side of the car and a convex mirror on each sideview mirror, there are NO issues, even if you back into a tight spot.

Rob (of the soapbox now ;) )

Convex mirrors.

On my work van, a 2007 Chev 3500 Savanna, I never shoulder check as I don't need to the mirrors do the work. If the rearview mirror (the one inside the car) is blocked, how can you see behind you unless you change the sideview mirrors? So the kids are watching a movie in back with the screen down, or you are carrying something in the back that blocks the view. An emergency vehicle is coming up behind you(not right behind you yet) and you CAN'T see it at all til you hear it behind you. Sorry to rant but I had it happen with the wife in the ambulance. Guy couldn't see behind him and we were stuck behind him.

With the mirror inside set to look behind you, the sideview mirrors adjust so you just barely see the side of the car and a convex mirror on each sideview mirror, there are NO issues, even if you back into a tight spot.

Rob (of the soapbox now ;) )

Hmmm... Here I thought this site was for JOURNEY owners...

Yes, I agree that if you have a different vehicle and it does NOT have any convex mirrors that you need some... But the Journey has one! (it's the one on the right side)

So, if you set it up to BARELY see the rear view, it will still allow you to see that cop trying to pull you over for speeding - even if your DVD player screen is blocking things (I don't own one and I think kids watch too much TV as it is!)...

• 2 months later...
Mmmmm, that would depend on what you mean by "properly adjusted". Having spent several years driving trucks, I want my mirrors set so that I can see along both sides of my vehicle. It's pretty hard (for me, anyway) to back into tight spots if I can't see how close I am on both sides. That's why I'm such a proponent of blind-spot mirrors.

After driving Tour Coaches for over 42 years, I agree with you completely. Mirrors should be adjusted so the the side of the vehicle is just visible on the edge of the glass. That way you have a reference to base your moves on. Since I have never been able to "look over my shoulder" I would not be bothered by the blind spot.

Bothered a little about the fact that I ordered the Journey 10 weeks ago and have not seen it yet. :rant2: