Satellite Radio Installation

My 2017 Journey didn't come with Sirius XM because I was told it was an add-on and I already had an existing account. I'm taking it to Best Buy to have my service transferred but I'm wondering if they will have to actually install my radio with the dock, or if they can activate it to show on the touchscreen. Does anyone know the answer?

It certainly isn't an add-on.  Your Journey didn't come with Sirius/XM because the trim level you bought doesn't have it.  if it did, not only would you not have to do anything, but factory equipped vehicles come with a year of free service

And you certainly don't have to go to Best Buy to have it transferred in any case.  You would just phone the Sirius customer service number that so thoughtfully appears on the channel 0 screen and give them your account information.

You now have several options;

You can install a satellite antenna (it is possible to replace the present antenna with a satellite compatible one and to run a wire from that antenna through the headliner and down the roof pillar and feed it to the radio).  But you'll also have to replace the radio with one equipped for the service.  You can usually find them on eBay or buy one from a scrap yard.  Note that newer radios require an unlock code - your dealer COULD give the code to you for free, but if not there are people (on this board) who have been known to helpfully provide this information without charge.

You can buy a radio from BestBuy and stick it in your armrest - plug the audio output into the jack in the armrest and listen away.

If your vehicle has Bluetooth you can simply buy a BT equipped satellite radio receiver and antenna and connect to the vehicle that way - or you can download the Sirius app and use your data plan to get the music, though Spotify is a LOT better.

Or you can load up an iPod and listen to that.

The acoustic quality of SiriusXM's system is less than stellar.

Edited by bramfrank

Turns out, I didn't have to go to Best Buy or spend any money. I simply plugged in the Sirius XM radio I already had and it worked. I had an extra antenna and dock since I replaced my radio last year, and the antenna works just fine placed on the dashboard. Thanks again!