2010 Journey AWD 3.5l SXT freeze plug issue now a catastrophe

kanerdanger

So according to 2 certified mechanics, I have failing and failed freeze plugs, that resulted in a pool of coolant on my garage floor, and I have to pull the motor and trans apart to replace the freeze plugs. My plan of attack is drop the motor instead of cherry picking it. Anybody out there with this experience or tips and tricks to avoid extra time on the awd system?

Should I evacuate the A/C system? Is there a work around for this?

Pull it or drop it?

Also while I am in there should I replace any other time sensitive parts besides simple belts and such?

Thanks for reading!

• 6 months later...

Just had frost plugs replaced on my 2010 journey 3.5L. Had same issue with leaking coolant then one day just started pouring out. Replaced all the frost plugs 2 of them completely rotted  out one had a pin size hole other one had a hole size of a 3.5mm headphone jack. 

IMG-20160913-WA0002.jpeg

• 4 months later...
On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 9:46 PM, kanerdanger said:

So according to 2 certified mechanics, I have failing and failed freeze plugs, that resulted in a pool of coolant on my garage floor, and I have to pull the motor and trans apart to replace the freeze plugs. My plan of attack is drop the motor instead of cherry picking it. Anybody out there with this experience or tips and tricks to avoid extra time on the awd system?

Should I evacuate the A/C system? Is there a work around for this?

Pull it or drop it?

Also while I am in there should I replace any other time sensitive parts besides simple belts and such?

Thanks for reading!

We had the same problem. 2 of 6 plugs failed. Replace the timing belt while your there (recommended @100,000k miles) and inspect the water pump for leaks.

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem. The local garage did not want to do it so i may have to take to the stealership. Any ideas on the cost. I have 172000kms on it and was actually looking for a new vehicle before this happened.

3 hours ago, alecdl said:

I have the same problem. The local garage did not want to do it so i may have to take to the stealership. Any ideas on the cost. I have 172000kms on it and was actually looking for a new vehicle before this happened.

Your best bet it to call the dealer and ask. Prices vary by locations.