Electronic Throttle Control light coming on

TRONIC1

Hello all,

I hope I'm posting in the proper forum. So far I'm loving my 2010 R/T AWD, but unfortunately, the other day my ETC light came on and throttle response became a little choppy. As well, on occassion when the light is on, the idle will rev between 500 and 1500 RPM when I'm stopped, a little strange. Well, last night it happened again, and actually stalled when I was stopped at a light waiting to turn left. It took me 3 tries to get it started again. I've made an appointment to leave it with the dealership. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of problem and what the solution was. It's a shame really, because so far I've been loving this vehicle, and now I'm feeling a sense of impending doom. I know I'm probably over reacting, I just hope they can resolve this for me in short order. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello all,

I hope I'm posting in the proper forum. So far I'm loving my 2010 R/T AWD, but unfortunately, the other day my ETC light came on and throttle response became a little choppy. As well, on occassion when the light is on, the idle will rev between 500 and 1500 RPM when I'm stopped, a little strange. Well, last night it happened again, and actually stalled when I was stopped at a light waiting to turn left. It took me 3 tries to get it started again. I've made an appointment to leave it with the dealership. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of problem and what the solution was. It's a shame really, because so far I've been loving this vehicle, and now I'm feeling a sense of impending doom. I know I'm probably over reacting, I just hope they can resolve this for me in short order. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I don't have any direct experience with this but I have head about it in general (i.e. not specifically with the Journey). I believe it indicates that the computer is getting confusing signals from your electronic throttle a.k.a. gas pedal. Probably just a defective pedal sensor or maybe a bad wiring connection. Dealer should be able to take care of it.

Oh, and just FYI, your Journey does have a throttle override tied to the brake, so if you step on the brake pedal, it will reduce power to your engine. Thus you shouldn't have to worry about runaway, Toyota-like acceleration as long as you remember to step firmly on your brakes! This has been standard on all Chrysler vehicles with electronic throttles for the past six or seven years. Why it's not standard from ALL car makers is beyond me!

I don't have any direct experience with this but I have head about it in general (i.e. not specifically with the Journey). I believe it indicates that the computer is getting confusing signals from your electronic throttle a.k.a. gas pedal. Probably just a defective pedal sensor or maybe a bad wiring connection. Dealer should be able to take care of it.

Oh, and just FYI, your Journey does have a throttle override tied to the brake, so if you step on the brake pedal, it will reduce power to your engine. Thus you shouldn't have to worry about runaway, Toyota-like acceleration as long as you remember to step firmly on your brakes! This has been standard on all Chrysler vehicles with electronic throttles for the past six or seven years. Why it's not standard from ALL car makers is beyond me!

Thanks for the response dp360. I just pulled the codes. It gave me 5 of them (P0121,P0221,P2135,P2101 and P2110). I'm going to see if I can't find their meanings. Thanks for the info on the overide, puts my mind at ease a bit. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the response dp360. I just pulled the codes. It gave me 5 of them (P0121,P0221,P2135,P2101 and P2110). I'm going to see if I can't find their meanings. Thanks for the info on the overide, puts my mind at ease a bit. I'll keep you posted.

Well, the Journey is at the dealership today. They're replacing the throttle body. I'll keep everyone posted as to whether this resolves the issue.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
19 minutes ago, Ryan D Farrington said:

Hey all, my ECT just came on in my 2013 Journey, it went away after I shut off and restart but the check engine light is now on! Any ideas what it could be or what I should do?

Can't tell you anything until you get the code read and post it here. The vehicle is literally telling you what's wrong.