Did I fry the radio?

Trying to hook up an external amplifier to upgraded speakers in doors and dash (which I've done before in dozens of cars). Radio screen and controls all blank. Smells like burnt electronics under the dash. Car starts/runs (thank heavens). Also get a "Check Keyless System" notification. Any suggestions?

Edited by mfenske

Pulled the radio-definitely fried. Ordered a new (used) one. Any tips on programming the new one since it's a direct replacement? Also, this is by far the most finicky car I've ever encountered from an audio perspective.

2 hours ago, jkeaton said:

Always a good idea to disconnect the battery when working with wiring. 

It's really strange I've hooked up dozens of amps over the years with this one being no different. Tapped in to the factory harness for the signal and since I couldn't seem to get the Audio Control LC2i I wondered if there was some sort of load sensing circuit in the radio so I wired in some 4 ohm ceramic resistors and still nothing. Thought it might be the LC2i so I disconnected that and used my phone to connect signal to the amp and POOF goes the smoke from the radio. Truly confused.

1 hour ago, bramfrank said:

The replacement radio will only need to be unlocked and only if it is from a vehicle newer than 2012;  It inherits the vehicle features from the BCM.

I have a hunch that it is. Any clue on how to do this (maybe a youtube)?

• 2 weeks later...

Radio was totally fried. Called the local dealer and after exchanging some information they gave me the info and everything is working well. Does anyone know if adding a load resistor would help with getting signal out of the radio to an external processor to avoid this again?

Edited by mfenske