General Altimax Artic with studs

newrollo

Recently (June of 15) bought a cabin in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. It was a snowy and icy winter here. I put the Generals/studded on a 2014 2wd Crossroad in Nov. Honestly I was amazed at the traction in all winter conditions. Ground clearance helps of course, the Journey is good there. Snow packed ice and mountain runoff black ice, no problem. Some roads are extreme drop offs after the white line. In Michigan we could get by with just snow tires (studs are illegal). Would awd have helped, probably. But the fwd with studs was as sure footed as a mountain goat. The Perilis P7's go back on Monday. Should be a little quieter. Not that it was that bad.

I was hesitant about my FWD in the snow, and started a lengthy tread concerning non AWD in the snow. I changed my factory tires to Bridgestone Dueler Alenza Plus, and I was amazed at the pulling power the vehicle has in the snow. First non 4wd vehicle for me in over 20 years! The AWD might be nice when going around curves (it does kick in for this), but otherwise it is just unnecessary weight. I will go back to Jeep for my next vehicle.

Edited by dhh3