I ordered the Save and Sound option with my Journey which includes the back-up camera. Sometime I may want to see behind without going into reverse. Does anyone know of a mod that may be available to enable this function?

I'm sure some techs have done this on other camera equiped vehicles.

Thanks!

I ordered the Save and Sound option with my Journey which includes the back-up camera. Sometime I may want to see behind without going into reverse. Does anyone know of a mod that may be available to enable this function?

Thanks!

You can use this device (but it is expensive) LockPick.

I am also looking for overrides so the screen can be used while the vehicle is in motion. There has to be a cheaper alternative to buying this device - like a simple unlock code.

You can use this device (but it is expensive) LockPick.

I am also looking for overrides so the screen can be used while the vehicle is in motion. There has to be a cheaper alternative to buying this device - like a simple unlock code.

I know the Dodge dealers have a tool called "StarScan tool" for these radios only and they are able to enable and disable features. Now the trick is to find out if the tool will actually do what we want it to do. I would hate to depend on the dealer and bribe someone (tech) to unlock some features

or just bite the bullet and buy the lockpick. I would like to know if the lockpick will work on the 6 disc nav MyGig. I have not seen this radio in the lockpick lists

Rob

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

THIS IS ONLY SPECULATION:

But if the camera system works like I have seen on aftermarket systems, the system switches over to the camera view when the monitor detects a video signal. The video signal is only present when the camera is powered up. Given the location of the camera, it's possible that it's powered from the back-up light circuit directly and not through the cable running to the radio.

If this is the case, your only option is to separate the camera power from the back-up lights with a blocking diode, then add some additional means of powering up the camera by itself.

Regardless of all of this, the camera tends to look down more than it looks back, so it's not very useful for anything beyond 25 feet behind the vehicle most of the time. If you're keeping an eye on a trailer, it might be helpful, but it would make for a rather poor substitute for a rear-view mirror with traffic, especially if you didn't get the navigation option which moves the screen to the top of the dash.

After using the camera a few times I agree with radon360. You can only see about 20 feet behind the vehicle but when the object looks close in the camera it is close for real. It works great for backing into a parking spot because you can really tell when you're close enought to the other vehicle or object. It's a great additional safety device but doesn't replace your mirrors. It's designed to detect lower objects behind the vehicle that you wouldn't otherwise see and it works great for that but I have changed my mind as to needing it any other time mostly due to the angle of the camera.

Keith

After using the camera a few times I agree with radon360. You can only see about 20 feet behind the vehicle but when the object looks close in the camera it is close for real. It works great for backing into a parking spot because you can really tell when you're close enought to the other vehicle or object. It's a great additional safety device but doesn't replace your mirrors. It's designed to detect lower objects behind the vehicle that you wouldn't otherwise see and it works great for that but I have changed my mind as to needing it any other time mostly due to the angle of the camera.

Keith

hey Keith, the camera is adjustable, I have the print out, I will look tomorrow for you

Rob