Will an IPOD Shuffle Work?

I don't know if anyone would be interested in knowing, but I tried my IPOD shuffle last night. I used the USB plug. It will charge the IPOD, but will not recognize the music. I believe the reason for this is due to the design/programming of the shuffle itself. I believe once it is connected to a USB source, it kicks into the charging and ITUNES mode. I am going to try and connect it via the AUX plug. Maybe that would work. It would be nice to use the shuffle though. Then the kids can plug their respective shuffle in to listen to their music instead of carrying CD's or download every kid's cd (not enough room).

Hey, it will charge the ipod though. Also, I am trying to discourage the kids from wanting the NANO.

Steve

If you look on ebay there is a connector being sold by a dealer in NC for $40?? that is supposed to make it compatible with Ipod's it gives you the radio codes that it works with & I believe it is Mopar as you get a 1yr warranty

this is what is in the manual,...

NOTE: USB devices (e.g., camera memory USB adaptors,

etc.) must comply with the MSD (Mass Storage

Device) standard. This USB terminal can provide power

to the inserted device. The devices current limitation

must be less or equal to 500mA.

The transfer speed for this USB connector is approximately

2 megabytes per second.

MP3 player devices cannot be controlled through the

USB connector. Some player devices save music files in

MP4 format, which cannot be played in this radio. Some

copy protected music (e.g., downloads from the internet)

cannot be played on this radio.

AUX Mode

The AUX connector allows you to connect the headset

output of an audio device (e.g., MP3 player) to the

navigation radio. The audio of the connected device will

then be played through the navigation radio sound

system.

Connect a 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack cable as shown above

(not provided with the radio) to the AUX connector on

the navigation radio and to the earphone connector of

your audio device.

The display will switch automatically to the AUX mode,

when a 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack cable has been connected.

The radio screen will revert back to the last tuner mode

when the cable is unplugged.

To change to AUX mode while the cable is connected to

the unit, press the MEDIA button until the AUX tab is

highlighted on the top of the screen.

Adjust the volume with the ON/OFF VOLUME knob, or

with the volume of the attached device.

The control of the external device (e.g., selecting playlists,

play, fast forward, etc.) cannot be provided by the radio;

use the device controls instead.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if an ipod shuffle would work in the radio unit? if i plugged it into the aux input?

steve

Check the connector inside your glove box on the left side. Does this fit into your shuffle? It's supposed to fit into the iPods so that you can leave the iPod in the glove box and run it completely through the radio.

I don't know what the connector on the bottom of the shuffle looks like, but I'm quite certain that it WON'T work through the USB port on the faceplate. That's only good for mass storage devices like USB jump drives and the like.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried hooking up a Sandisk mp3 player to the USB port. It connected but will not do anything. We transferred music to the drive via a thumb drive. The cd player works too but the discs were not being ejected. The new radio is at the dealer. I hooked up the cable in the glove box and it is a real pain the way they mounted the connector. I haven't tried a true ipod with the connector yet but will shortly.

I tried hooking up a Sandisk mp3 player to the USB port. It connected but will not do anything. We transferred music to the drive via a thumb drive. The cd player works too but the discs were not being ejected. The new radio is at the dealer. I hooked up the cable in the glove box and it is a real pain the way they mounted the connector. I haven't tried a true ipod with the connector yet but will shortly.

I have a 80gb Ipod hooked up works great

• 2 months later...
I don't know if anyone would be interested in knowing, but I tried my IPOD shuffle last night. I used the USB plug. It will charge the IPOD, but will not recognize the music. I believe the reason for this is due to the design/programming of the shuffle itself. I believe once it is connected to a USB source, it kicks into the charging and ITUNES mode. I am going to try and connect it via the AUX plug. Maybe that would work. It would be nice to use the shuffle though. Then the kids can plug their respective shuffle in to listen to their music instead of carrying CD's or download every kid's cd (not enough room).

Hey, it will charge the ipod though. Also, I am trying to discourage the kids from wanting the NANO.

Steve

Try updating the firm ware on your ipod. I had to update it on mine in order for it to mate up with the radio.