Engine Problems

Has anyone who has the 3.5-liter V-6 engine in their Journey had work on done it and been happy with the repairs???

I had the same engine in my RT which I bought May 08. The car ran fine until Nov when it stated to get colder and at the same time I received a notice from my dealer to have the power steering res. changed. Once the local dealer started touching the car in November 08 it was in and out of the dealer weekly and at some points it was at the dealer for a week or more at a time. I had lifters, exhaust lifeters, engine, lifters again, O2 sensor, win module, back seat lights, fog lights, intake all replaced before 10,000 miles. I finally had it with the car and the aggrevation with the dealer and did a buy back with Chrysler. the were very understanding, very helpful and within a 3 week time frame they purchased my vehicle back. I still supported chrysler as I love Jeeps and bought a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I suggest if you have problems to contact Chrylser directly and see what can be done. Good Luck.

I had the same engine in my RT which I bought May 08. The car ran fine until Nov when it stated to get colder and at the same time I received a notice from my dealer to have the power steering res. changed. Once the local dealer started touching the car in November 08 it was in and out of the dealer weekly and at some points it was at the dealer for a week or more at a time. I had lifters, exhaust lifeters, engine, lifters again, O2 sensor, win module, back seat lights, fog lights, intake all replaced before 10,000 miles. I finally had it with the car and the aggrevation with the dealer and did a buy back with Chrysler. the were very understanding, very helpful and within a 3 week time frame they purchased my vehicle back. I still supported chrysler as I love Jeeps and bought a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I suggest if you have problems to contact Chrylser directly and see what can be done. Good Luck.

Wow. Thank you so much for responding to my post. I really appreciate any input from you. I too bought my Journey SXT in May 08. In Feb. it started making a horrible sound. Didn't run well at all cold. Since then my dealer has replaced the power steering pump twice, replaced rack and set toe, and performed several TSBs on it....each time not fixing the problem and wasting my time at the dealer. I have missed a lot of work from this. I have sent Lemon Law letters to Chrysler and my dealer and have an attorney. I just want to make sure we don't get taken advantage of as I have never dealt with anything like this before. So right now my Journey is in the shop for one last attempt. They are now saying the problem is coming from the engine. First they want to try and replace the intake. They think this will fix it. If not they want to take apart my engine to find the problem! I am very upset about this! I don't understand this. My car is new and this engine has been around in Dodge vehicles since 2001. Why is it having problems and from reading posts on here I am not the only one. So I am stuck. If replacing the intake works my car is fixed.....good. But if it doesn't work, wich I won't be surprised and am tired of getting my hopes up, should I let them work on the engine? I am very very displeased. I have lost a lot of confidence in Chrysler products.

• 4 weeks later...

I have only had one engine problem with a Journey. I had my personal Journey in the shop for repair and ended up with a Journey from Discount Car and Truck Rentals. I drove it to work, which was maybe 20 kms. The engine made this awfuly terrible grumbling noise the whole time, and it was reving while I was breaking. Fearing that the car might die on me at any time, I had the rental company bring me a new vehicle.

This Journey was the same trim as mine, FWD SXT V-6, so I knew what the engine should sound like, and it had far less kms on it than mine. I figured someone drove the crap out of it and busted the transmission, but now I'm thinking that maybe it was a defective engine.

I know that my story doesn't really give you advice on how to fix the issue. But maybe knowing that yours is not the only vehicle with an engine problem may give you some solice.