Synthetic???

Steven

So, has anyone considered running synthetic in their journey? if so, when and what? i can't decide, i have a service contract for oil changes, i would have to pay the difference for synthetic, but i have always run synthetic in every vehicle, generator, atv and dirt bike, its hard not too after so long. in fact, i have always done all of my maintenance, so it will be equally difficult to let someone else. i guess that will free me up for the other stuff.

steve

So, has anyone considered running synthetic in their journey? if so, when and what? i can't decide, i have a service contract for oil changes, i would have to pay the difference for synthetic, but i have always run synthetic in every vehicle, generator, atv and dirt bike, its hard not too after so long. in fact, i have always done all of my maintenance, so it will be equally difficult to let someone else. i guess that will free me up for the other stuff.

steve

Considering how spaced apart the required maintenance is on the Journey, I'm 90% sure I'll run synthetic in the Journey.

so how far apart are oil changes recommended, thanks

There isn't a "Schedule A vs Schedule B" maintenance schedule. There are some differences depending on engine size (more on the 4 cyl).

So, the only requirement is oil changes every 6,000 miles.

John

I am impressed with the level of maintenance required in the Journey. Either the car company figured out it needs to be real world and reasonable maintenance, or they built a better car that requires less maintenance. I personally have never seen a maintenance log that is so relatively simple.

6K oil changes, about 60k is the big service, tranny fluid, axles, and radiator flush. Everything between is oil changes, tires, check brakes, exhaust, etcetera. No high maintenance requirement or severe schedule. Pretty cool. I read through the contract and the lifetime warranty, it says must do maintenance according to manual, which is pretty straight forward. Also, I was very surprised that the lifetime warranty covers the timing belt. And, the first timing belt change was at 102K if i remember correctly. Change it out then and you are good to go for the warranty. That was one of my big worries, if they would cover that.

I was also shocked to find that the tranny, which they call something else like drive unit or something, is a sealed unit, ie, no dip stick to check or fill. Still requires fluid changes, but i believe the first one was at 60k. no big deal there. And that is covered under the lifetime as long as you do your 60k service.

I am very impressed how simple the maintenance schedule is to keep that lifetime warranty. I am going to bet that chrysler doesnt do the lifetime warranty that long, it has to be expensive in the long run. I suppose they may be betting that most people trade or sell their cars in less than 5 years.

Steve

steve

I would stick with 3K/3 month change intervals, a quality conventional PCMO (my personal choice being Havoline), and Purolator PureOne filters. Except under the most extreme operating conditions, I can not see the justification for spending the extra coin for synthetic oil. There's just not that much difference between PAOs and today's Group III mineral lube base oils. ;)

I am impressed with the level of maintenance required in the Journey. Either the car company figured out it needs to be real world and reasonable maintenance, or they built a better car that requires less maintenance. I personally have never seen a maintenance log that is so relatively simple.

6K oil changes, about 60k is the big service, tranny fluid, axles, and radiator flush. Everything between is oil changes, tires, check brakes, exhaust, etcetera. No high maintenance requirement or severe schedule. Pretty cool. I read through the contract and the lifetime warranty, it says must do maintenance according to manual, which is pretty straight forward. Also, I was very surprised that the lifetime warranty covers the timing belt. And, the first timing belt change was at 102K if i remember correctly. Change it out then and you are good to go for the warranty. That was one of my big worries, if they would cover that.

I was also shocked to find that the tranny, which they call something else like drive unit or something, is a sealed unit, ie, no dip stick to check or fill. Still requires fluid changes, but i believe the first one was at 60k. no big deal there. And that is covered under the lifetime as long as you do your 60k service.

I am very impressed how simple the maintenance schedule is to keep that lifetime warranty. I am going to bet that chrysler doesnt do the lifetime warranty that long, it has to be expensive in the long run. I suppose they may be betting that most people trade or sell their cars in less than 5 years.

Steve

Are you talking about the I4? I thought the 3.5 V6 had a timing chain (rather than a belt), no?