Rear Brake Update

Well, after 16,000 miles, I was having brake issues again. Calipers were hanging up - and serious hot brakes/overheating. Inner pad on the passenger side had plenty of pad left, but the outer pad was wore down to almost metal. I had taken the calipers off about 8000 miles ago, and regreased the metal clips and the sliders, but still had issues.

Well, I bought a set of new rear pads at the local Parts Plus. - PowerStop Evolution Premium Plus for $35 - and went to install today. The previous pads were tight in the clips - these - I could get the inner pad in, but not the outer. .

So I took the caliper and pads to a friend who owns an auto repair shop. He told me even the ones that fit were too tight. He had me grind the tabs on his bench grinder - he told me that they're stamped parts, and not precisely manufactured, and variances can make them too tight. He said he often grinds some of the tabs off so they fit in the clips - he likes them a little on the loose side so they don't have any issues with hanging.

Well, after grinding, the pads moved freely in the clips. I took them home, lubed up the clips with brake caliper grease, greased the sliders with silicone lubricant, and put everything back together. I was worried that maybe the pads would be too loose and rattle, but I drove about 50 miles with them tonight, they were fine.

I'll keep posting updates here - I wonder if the issues with premature wear so many of us suffer from, is just brake pad tabs that are too tight and don't allow the calipers to move freely on the metal clips? I just never heard/didn't know about grinding the tabs a bit.

I do not blame the premature failure on the Callahan rotors or pads. I think the pads were just too tight when I put them in. At least that's what I hope. I've never had a vehicle with so many brake issues.

Interesting find. I also went with the Callahan pads/rotors kit from Amazon for $180 or whatever. I've had them on for about 10k miles now without issue. Just rotated the tires the other day and checked all 4 corners. The pads are all wearing evenly and performing well. No more brake shuddering like the stock brakes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them!

What I have noticed is sometimes when slowing down (without touching the brakes at all) I'll get a slight shuddering when the transmission downshifts. So I'm wondering if people are thinking it's brake shuddering, when it's really a transmission shudder...