Replacing Rack and Pinion

llw2234

O.K., first of all this is a great site! I have been able to do some of my own research, so thanks to all who are making their issues with the journey public!!! I have several issues with mine. I am VERY frustrated and will probably NEVER buy a dodge/chrysler again....WHAT A PAIN THIS HAS BEEN FOR ME!!! Here is my major issue:

I have an SXT with about 18000 miles on it (I do a lot of driving). Bought it in May 08. A couple weeks ago it started making a horrible noise out of the blue. When I start my car it sounds like a diesel, the steering wheel is shaking a little, when I start off driving there is a horrible crackling noise, not a tick, but a crackling noise in the front area of the car....weird. It is not a quiet noise either. So I took it in. Here is what they did.

1. Replace the power steering pump, didn't work

2. Do some flash TSB to it, didn't work

3. Replace the power steering pumg again, didn't work (what a surprise!)

4. Now they want to replace the rack and pinion - I don't have much confidence this will work because I can sometimes hear the noise when the car is in park, but hope I am wrong. Actually the technician didn't sound all that confident, but this is what Chrysler suggested.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. Taking it in on the 26th. If it doesn't work.....I am going straight to Chrysler. This is absolutely rediculous. There are other issues I have, but by far this one is the major one.