Switching to 235-60-17s from 225-65-17s

Jay Sixspeedrt

Well, I have 39,400 miles on the OEM Kumhos..... when I hit 40,000 miles I'm going to replace the tires.

I have just never liked the looks of the factory tires - they seem too skinny for my tastes. I wanted something meatier. But I wanted to keep the diameter close to original for fuel mileage, etc.

I have found that 235-60-17s are almost 1" wider, are only 0.2" less diameter (28.1" vs 28.3") and the factory 6.5" wide wheels are within the rim-width range listed. I'll be doing the swap in a couple weeks - I'll post some photos.

Edited by Jay Sixspeedrt

The tread width is measured in millimeters. So a 225 spec tire is 225mm wide. A 235 spec tire is 235mm wide. A difference of only 10mm, or about 3/8". If you want to see a noticeable difference in the width, you need to go with a 245 or 255 tire.

In your case, a 245/60 17 is wider, and much closer in circumference to your current tire. It will only be around 0.3% different and will not affect the speedometer very much at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting my new tires installed yesterday, after 40,300 miles on the factory tires - they were ready for it - all but one of the tires was down to the wear bars, and the other was close. I compared a new one to one of the dismounted 225-65-17s - They're a good 1/2" to 3/4" of an inch wider - they look noticeably meatier on the Journey. This is my Journey when she was brand new on the dealer's lot with the OEM Kumhos;

335531_203729949721112_1929305321_o.jpg

And here she is with the new 235-60-17s - I think they look a lot better. Overall diameter is only 0.2 inches different, which is negligible. At any rate, all set for winter now.

wxx0.jpg