What's better for 2010 Journey RT AWD 18" or 20" rims

stephs12

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey RT AWD and they are needing new tires before winter. Went and priced some out, and have very limited options for the 19" they came with. Now I am looking at getting a different rim size, so I can have more options for tires. If I am going to spend $1200 for a set of new tires, I want them to last more than 40, 000 kms.
What experiences have any other owners have (good and bad). Looking for good advice before I go out and get new rims and tires. Oh, and 5x5"pattern is required for the rims correct?
Thanks all :D

In the past ive always gotten bigger wheels with smaller tires for my vehicles and Ive suffered everytime with gas milleage and lower overall mileage on the tires. I would agree 100% that they may look better. I know that there is limited tires for the 19" wheels but if you go with 20" then you will need to go with a lower profile tire so you can keep the overall diameter the same and lower profile tires means less overall mileage. I have the 19" stock wheel and I powerder coated them black with a red stripe and I love the way it came out. I also found a local tire company that sells used tires that are like new with less than 1000 miles on them. I just got 4 tires for $180.00. This means that even if I only get 35,000 miles and I need another set, Ill get them from the same guy for the same price and still be way ahead in overall mileage. Good luck.

This is just my opinion and not everyone is going to agree with me.

Edited by DTSGUY

Will you be running winter tires? I bought a set of 17" wheels from a Chrysler Pacifica with snow tires on them for $380. Lots of options available from other Chrysler products, including the Chrysler Pacifica, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Commander and Dodge Grand Caravan. They are all 5 x 5 (127mm) with a 71.5mm bore. There are a lot of tire options available in 18" and the ride will be better. Going to 20" means lower profile and a harsher ride. Check out Kijiji to see if there are any deals.

When spring rolls around, I will throw on a new set of 19's on my original wheels, but instead of the rare 225/55 19 tires, I will go with either 235/55 19 tires or possibly even 255/50 19 tires. Many more options, and much cheaper. The effect on the Speedo is about 1%, so not a significant difference. The increased tread width may increase the rolling resistance and decrease the fuel economy a bit, but the tires should last longer and the truck will have a nicer stance with the wide tires.

• 3 weeks later...

Dtsguy where can i get a set for that price

I found mine on my local Craigs List. Its a company here in my area that deals with used tires. Im sure you'll find one in your area.

This is the kind of place that I found mine at.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ptd/4129452311.html

Edited by DTSGUY

For my new R/T, I'm going with Michelin Xi3's, 22560R18 on 18" alloy rims. I'm wary about buying anything used, especially winter tires and rims that have been used in this area - lots of snow, salt, etc. I'm hoping that the AWD will get me through our poorly plowed streets in our neighbourhood. Last winter, my Caliber SRT4 was almost useless in winter driving due to its lowered height, even with 18" Blizzak's on steel rims.