Hi I am new to the forum. Have owned my Journey for 2 days now. The software version is 8.119 and Gracenotes is 881, now I have tried to follow the link over to mofv.com/mygig/ but it doesn't load in any browser. Does anyone know of an alternate place to get the updates and instructions.

We bought our 2009 Journey SXT AWD yesterday and have just got into playing with the Navigation and everything and would love to update. I understand that the dealers charge for updating it and want to avoid that at all costs. I am a computer guy and know that I could do this myself if I had directions and the files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did a search on DealerConnect and the only thing I came up with was this:

STAR Case

Contact the STAR Center for assistance if no solution is found

Chrysler Group LLC Version 3

Case Number: S1308000026

Release Date: 01/24/2013

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

REU Radio, Software Enhancement Updates, Blue Tooth Pairing

Diagnosis:

REU radios may have concerns related to Bluetooth phone pairing that can be improved with an

update disc that is currently available. The disc available is labeled for an REX radio, (68171168AAversion

8.315), but can be used in a REU update.

Repair Procedure:

Verify that the radio software version is at 8.315 or greater.

a. Press the hard "Set up” button on the face of the radio.

b. Select “System information”.

c. The software level is the number reported below the word “Application”.

d. This disc (labeled REX update) will update a REU radio below software version 8.315.

e. Update the radio as needed to complete.

Verification:

Verify the software level was installed to complete.

It appears to me that a trip to the dealer will be the only other way to do this unless you are able to find a browser which supports the MyGig link. Did you purchase your Journey through a dealer? If so, they should update the unit for you as per the purchase. If not, pay a visit to a local dealer and intruduce yourself to the service manager. Explain that you have made all attempts to update yourself but no browser supports the link, and would they be willing to lend you the disc for a few minutes while you pop it in out in the lot and update the files? More than likely they will tell you that they have to create a repair order and charge you for the update, but you have nothing to lose by asking.

I have a MyGig in my truck and had one in my Jeep Commander, and wish I had one in my Journey as opposed to this Garmin thing... That being said, I would get the dealer to do the updates to the OS. I'm retired IT (Systems Integrator) and looked into doing it myself also. Any of the updates that you apply will also affect the firmware and that's the catch...the firmware will not take a "cold flash", i.e., if you corrupt the firmware, the whole unit is toast and becomes a boat anchor. New firmware cannot be reloaded cold; it has to have an operating firmware base to update, that's the way it is manufactured. You won't find the files available because of that, nobody wants to take the responsibility of selling you the update and having you toast the unit because your battery went dead (it takes quite awhile to do the update, I watched my service tech at the dealer do one) or your disk is faulty. That being said, if you have deep pockets, i.e., you can afford the $800-$1200 dollars to replace the whole unit, you may be able to find the files on eBay or BitTorrent, but, again, it is a very risky proposition. The map updates for the Nav are available through NavTeq and I think that update is around $150 and, again, I would stick to very reliable sources for even that if you want to avoid that cost...the last thing you want to do is to introduce malware or a virus to your unit's hard drive since, aside from the StarScan tool, there is no alternate access to the OS with other input/output devices that you could use to rebuild the system.

That is interesting what you said webslave about viruses and malware. I was reading an article earlier this year and they were talking specifically about that vunerability.

With so many cars like ours having networked computer systems they brought up an imagined senario where someone has a music disk that contains a virus which will cause the brakes to malfunction while the person was driving the car.

Scary stuff and if I recall correctly there still isn't any security in place on vehicle computer systems to prevent anything like this from happening.