Hit a tire - insurance question

sexyRTboi

Hi All .... so I have a question about insurance I hope someone can help me out with.

Last week while travelling on the 401 between Cobourg and Toronto, my fiance hit a truck tire with the front end of our 2012 Kia Optima Hybrid. From the details of the event, the crash was unavoidable, he was travelling in the fastlane, car behind him and van beside him .... the pieces of the truck tire bounced off the vehicle infront of him a lane over and went right into the front passenger corner of our car. -- no opportunity to swerve or break as the barrier wall was to his left, a car behind him and a van beside him ..... no choice but to hit the tire at 110km/h.

The bumper is smacked up, clips are broken, foglight lense smashed out and the front lip spoiler is gone entireley (which we just paid $300 for a week before as the first one broke off this past winter)

So heres our question, both in our 30's, never had a claim before and excellent driving records. The bumper were told by London Kia will be $1900 alone as the Hybrids have a unique bumper thats not the same as the regular Optimas, plus the $300 lip, paint labour etc etc .... we're looking at a hefty repair bill.

Will our rates go up if we make the claim and pay the $500 deductable? London Kia is advising us that if we put it through insurance than it of course will show up when we are ready to trade the car in and will therefore reduce its trade in value ... we plan on keeping the car a few more years as its just an awesome car all around ....

I also read somewhere that there are two types of claims you can make ... either the accident was "avoidable" or the accident was "unavoidable" ... one, your rates go up, the other they remain the same.

Can someone shine some light on this for us? We're trying to decide how to proceed with this and currently driving around with a jacked up bumper that just looks horrid

Thanks in advance !

Claim the repair - your premiums may go up, but even if they do, it will be less than the more than $2K in repair costs AND the increase will be spread over a couple of years.

If you are judged to be responsible (it can go either way, since the rules of the road state you are supposed to leave enough space to be able to avoid any obstacle) then your immediate cost will be your deductible.

Did you manage to identify the driver of the truck?

I am an insurance adjuster. Any "at fault" Collision, which this event is, will raise your rates. In order to make this a "comprehensive" which are "not at fault" accidents, u must say the tire flew up in the air, and landed right on ur car. That is a " flying object". Just make sure u carry comprehensive coverage. Collision accidents are what underwriters look at. And those accidents follow u for 3 years on average.

Perfect, thanks for your info ..... essentially the tire did fly up initially, it just happened to land directly in his lane. No he wasnt able to get the info from the truck, traffic was heavy so there wasnt even opportunity to check the damages until the first available off ramp.