what does "satellite capable" mean??? -uconnect 4.3S

Just got a fleet ordered Jourey SXT and pretty impressed with it except for the Uconnect 4.3S system. Its labelled as "satellite capable" on dodge.ca if you build a basic SXT, problem is, no can tell me how to take advantage of said capabilites and use the sub i'm paying for. Any ideas? Hardware appears identical, i would think a software update or something would enable the SAT key that is currently non-existant?

Anyone know any more about this, seems Dealer doesn't, their 1800 customer service is uselesss, and sirius doesn't know either??

Here is what the website says when you build it for the basic radio

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Feature: AM/FM/Satellite-capable
In addition to traditional AM and FM radio reception, this radio, when properly equipped, is capable of receiving digital radio signals from a satellite.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

and here is a description of my requistion request as this was a factory order

RHA Radio: UConnect Touch 4.3 S CD/MP3

Comfort and Convenience
Dual zone front air conditioning, rear HVAC with separate controls, air filter, underseat ducts, auxiliary rear heater, headliner/pillar
ducts - AM/FM/Satellite-capable, clock, seek-scan, in-dash mounted single CD, MP3 decoder, external memory control, 6
speakers, integrated roof antenna, radio steering wheel controls - 1 1st row LCD monitor - Cruise control with steering wheel..........

Seems a little misleading in that you stated it was a 4.3s (S refers to satellite on my radio) but, looking on the Uconnect site the RHA radio doesn't have a SAT capability. As I said before, my understanding of capable (combined with it saying when properly equipped) means additional equipment has to be installed for SAT to function.

i went a dealer, they were no help, didn't really look at the vehicle at all, just said "if it doesn't have sat, get an external radio, it'll be cheaper then replacing radio, antenna, and body control module"

i'm not buying that for an answer lol

The 4.3S includes the receiver. For retail customers it includes the first year of service - perhaps for fleet users the free year is not included . . . .

i agree, so how do i get or enable the sat receiver part?

Edited by FleetJourney

Seems a little misleading in that you stated it was a 4.3s (S refers to satellite on my radio) but, looking on the Uconnect site the RHA radio doesn't have a SAT capability. As I said before, my understanding of capable (combined with it saying when properly equipped) means additional equipment has to be installed for SAT to function.

I'm having a problem finding out what this additional equiipment is! The RHA vs REB radios appear identical, I'm willing to bet the internals are as well, I just need to find out how to enable the SAT functionality

http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/2012/dodge/journey/touch43sreb/. This radio has the SAT function. The RHA radio didn't. Not sure what else to tell you. Doesnt seem like they're telling you the whole story to me.

Either service is unaware, or the sales side of things on the candian website and their fleet managment is just wrong by stating "capable"

Reading through what you posted in the followup, the dealer is right - spend the $50 and plug an aftermarket Sirius radio into the aux jack if you want to listen to Howard Stern.

The RHA (which is what you apparently ordered) is NOT Sirius capable. You'd need the REB radio.

A check of the Canadian web site shows the RHA radio as what's standard on the SXT and below and the description says that the vehicle is 'satellite capable' - the details specify that you can order the REB as a time-of-order option for the SE and SXT models, but not the CVP - so whoever gave you the description with the 's' in the radio designator is wrong - you're getting a basic radio.

If the sales contract specifies the 's' model, you may be able to force them to install the upgraded radio and the associated antenna at their expense. There is an inconsistency in the wording - if it is the dealer's fault he may be held accountable since he is the one supposedly aware of just what things mean . . . . .

Beyond the errant 'S' in the model description you posted, I see no evidence that the vehicle is going to arrive with a satellite radio.

Edited by bramfrank

Reading through what you posted in the followup, the dealer is right - spend the $50 and plug an aftermarket Sirius radio into the aux jack if you want to listen to Howard Stern.

The RHA (which is what you apparently ordered) is NOT Sirius capable. You'd need the REB radio.

A check of the Canadian web site shows the RHA radio as what's standard on the SXT and below and the description says that the vehicle is 'satellite capable' - the details specify that you can order the REB as a time-of-order option for the SE and SXT models, but not the CVP - so whoever gave you the description with the 's' in the radio designator is wrong - you're getting a basic radio.

If the sales contract specifies the 's' model, you may be able to force them to install the upgraded radio and the associated antenna at their expense. There is an inconsistency in the wording - if it is the dealer's fault he may be held accountable since he is the one supposedly aware of just what things mean . . . . .

Beyond the errant 'S' in the model description you posted, I see no evidence that the vehicle is going to arrive with a satellite radio.

damn, i geuss i'll install my auxilary radio. The piss off is, i could have paid $260 for the SAT feature including a 1yr sub, instead, i recently renewed my sub. The wording capable, as i understood it, meant it was capable of using my sub, not capable as in, remove this radio throw it in the trash and replace it with a different one, thats hardly "capable"

Also the RHA is labelled as AM/FM/Satellite Capable while REB as AM/FM/SAT.